Va Tech massacre

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by krhimself, Apr 16, 2007.

1. krhimself

krhimself New Member

I was actually in class myself when I first heard the news. It drove home the point that anyone can perpetrate this kind of event anytime, anywhere, without any warning.

(side note: there's a popular rumor spreading around other colleges that the shooter went on a rampage because he couldn't handle being dumped by his girlfriend very well -- but I'm not reading into that at all.)

My condolences to the family and friends of the victims.

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

my heart and sympathies go out to the victims, their family and friends.

"why?" permeates my thoughts. I cannot comprehend the motivation for this event.

"In our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God."

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

My cousin is a grad student at Va Tech and thankfully he was not involved in this massacre. It is hard to believe that one person can do so much damage. Hearing those gun shots from the cell phone was unreal.

I do not think the Va Tech school and police could have done much different to avoid the second shooting from happening. The campus is 2600 acres and there are 26,000 students plus another 10,000 in faculty and staff. I am sure there will be some firings because of this, but in my opinion, no one should get fired.

The unfortunate reality is that if someone wants to shoot people in a school environment, it is going to happen. There is really no way of knowing or stopping someone from doing something like this.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I'm sure it's a great relief to hear your cousin is safe, Tom. Unfortunately, we live in a world where a one person or a small group of people can cause so much destruction and pain. I wish we had an easy answer to solve this problem, but I'm afraid it does not exist.

My thoughts go out to the families who lost loved ones. The end of a loved one's life is always a painful event to overcome. And the promising work of of these leading scholars and students coming to the end is a tragedy, society has lost a great deal in this event.

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

We're all saddened by this. i've wanted to wait until all facts were known... or at least there was some good background info on this poor deluded sicko before I commented on here.

But I have been commenting on the offal, because the theme quickly turned to 'american fascination wiht guns' and the call for banning.

While in some office at the edge of the VT campus, at the time of the shooting there were 79 guns, belonging to students and faculty with permits, in the lockbox.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The right-wing intelligence gathering apparatus is amazing. You have to admire a guy who, when faced with this carnage, has the clarity of purpose to find out where personal guns are kept on the campus and how many -- EXACTLY how many -- were locked away. To this guy and to the millions who read that line and nodded sagely, this is an appropriate response to 33 dead. Sigh.