Utah Soccer Referee's death

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, May 7, 2013.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

2. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Reading the full details of this story is frightening. I can't imagine suffering violence to the point of having my leg and ribs broken and continuing to referee. I was completely shocked to read that people believe public tax dollars should be spent to have police officers present at a private league. Has society truly sunk so low?

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

For that reason I always make it a point to thank the ref after my sons' games, no matter how visually challenged . . . .he may be. I would say "she" also but actually I've noticed the adult female refs tend to be good.

Tragic news and I feel terrible for this man and his family. So sad and pointless.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Mo, always appreciated adults who said 'thanks' and strangely soccer was the sport that there was little to no complaining, now basketball... :angry-banghead:.

The DA has charged the young man w/Homicide by Assault, and it looks like the main issue will be to see if he's tried as an adult or a juvenile (the punishment is up to 5 years if it's the former).

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/14396 ... th?cc=5901

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Oh, basketball officiating, now that's a different story. I'd be hurling insults at you along with everyone else if it's basketball.

So homicide by assault is less serious than voluntary manslaughter which I found surprising. With manslaughter you have to be provoked or sometimes even fear for your safety and this teen had nothing like that to induce him to violence. I guess the difference is that they believe the teen didnt think what he did would cause death. I'm still surprised they aren't going for the more serious charge.

6. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

I'm a high school football official in Colorado and every season it's more parents than anyone. Players generally tend to be much more respectful than the parents. I never worry about a player or coach coming at me after a game, but I do worry about parents because of "what you did to my boy!" mentality. I'm shocked that the charges aren't more serious.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Times have changed. When I coached AYSO, I remember at the first practice, I had all the kids stand around the center circle and I went back to talk to the parents. I pointed to the benches, and I said, "Everything in front of these benches belongs to me and your children. You don't belong out there, and if you're going to shout loud enough to be heard out there, it should be supportive and helpful. We're here to have fun and winning is fun, but winning the league is not what I'm here to teach your kids."

To my great surprise, we went the entire season without any negativity from the parents and no questions about who I started and who I subbed in/out. We finished second and lost out in the first round of the playoffs, but I had the most improved team in the league by the time the season was over and we had more fun than anyone. The only questions I got from ANY of the parents was, "Is he getting better?" or "Is he having fun." It was a dream.

I also got a lot of cookies, pies, and the occasional come on from the soccer moms.

I don't know why violence has to come into this, but I will say that we're a lot more confrontational society now than we were then -- 1975-76 -- and that anger has obviously been passed down to the kids.

Shame. I hope it can be turned around, but I seriously doubt it.