USMNT v Panama

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Feb 6, 2015.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Playing Sunday at the StubHub aka home of the Galaxy, Lax or Tim are either of you guys going? I'm on the fence, wish it was Saturday and it was a different opponent.

2. tim

tim Active Member

I'll be there.

3. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

I felt we had a pretty strong side against Chile. I wonder if Klinsmann will have a similar approach on Sunday.

4. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Gee, I hope we're fit enough to compete at this level. It'll be interesting to see if we run out of gas again. Klinsmann's been bitching about our fitness lately, so we'll see what happens. What is it with German coaches and fitness anyway? If he starts pitching cheese poultices for injuries, I'm outta here.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

What sort of fitness are players supposed to maintain when their season is over? There's fitness and then there's match fitness.

You have internationals on non-FIFA days, you get players who aren't playing league football.

6. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I am going to be there.

7. jumpkutz

Shea at LB, Ibarra up front, Jermaine still a defender. Wonder how many we'll let in with this lineup.

8. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Zardes played well. It will be interesting to see how the defense shakes out over the few months leading to the Gold Cuo.

9. LaxAttack

Zardes played well. Ibarra looked out of his element. My face is sun burnt like a mofo. I drank some beers and had a good time.

encorespanish and jumpkutz like this.
  10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I thought Ibarra did well. Of course, as Ag will tell you, I kind of like swift wingers.

11. LaxAttack

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I actually got to watch this game. It was good to see Bradley get quite a bit of his game back on track. Hope he stays healthy throughout this campaign. Zardes was good and it's even better to hear from the press reports that he has a strong work ethic. He's going to need it to help push himself to a higher level or be more consistent. Other than that I would say it was just an OK performance from the team. Good to win, but the US can't be too successful with that back line. Eep they were lucky few times to be bailed out by an inept Panama offense.

I wonder if Shea moving back is a coach's way of forcing Shea to be in a position too see why it's important players need to track back?

13. jumpkutz

If it is, why? Why would you need to use a method more akin to a youth soccer tactic on a 24 year old who turned pro out of high school and has been playing at this level since 2010?
    But, then again, we are talking about Brek Shea here, aren't we? Klinsmann certainly must see something in him that most of us are missing, because most American sports coaches would have kicked him to the curb a long time ago.
    Who knows, he could turn out to be the hero of Russia 3 and a half years hence. Or not.

14. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I don't see Shea beating FJ at LB for Russia, unless maybe FJ will be moved up to the midfield. Agree Shea has been given way more opportunities than most would that it boggles the mind. I have stated that very early in Klinsmann tenure that he sees something in Shea. I have to think some of it's down to his physical attributes. We don't just don't have many of Brek's size, speed, and quickness in the current pool that can play out wide.

15. ChicagoCottager

ChicagoCottager Active Member

Love a good Goal Olympico. Don't like to brag, but I scored two of these in a game once. But that was mostly due to a ridiculous amount of wind and a very unintelligent goalkeeper.

16. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

I don't think I've seen a goal like Bradley's since high school.

I read somewhere that Brek may end up as the left back for Orlando FC.

I didn't see much of the game but it seems Panama was pretty inept. Checking the grades on ESPN FC, only Besler was graded better than 5 out of 10 (he had a 6) among our defenders and keepers... and we still kept a clean sheet.

17. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I fall somewhere between Lax and Don on Ibarra's performance. I thought he had a good engine and moved the ball nicely up to the 18 but struggled with the end product. I saw enough good to want to see more of him in the future.

18. LaxAttack

I watched the TV broadcast after I got home yesterday and he didn't seem as bad as I thought in person. Like Barry said, his final pass or move in the attacking third were lacking and that first attempt at a left footed cross is what stuck in my head for the rest of the game while in the stadium.

Still think we have some better options.