USMNT v Mexico @ Crew Stadium

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by quickdraw, Jan 26, 2009.

1. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

So ... I know it's still about 3 weeks away, but I got my tickets today right at noon. I had signed up over at ussoccer.com and got some pre-sale tickets.

Anyone else planning on going? I'm taking my girlfriend and a friend from work to see if I can convert him to the dark side.

I'm expecting a packed crowd, even though the weather will probably suck. Ah well. All the reason to jump up and down.

2. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

In the ad for the match, even US Soccer is using falling snow & icicles in the lettering.
    I guess they are expecting some cold weather.
    Funny. 8)

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I got tickets today right at noon also. Very psyched, but trying not to think about the weather too much; it's been so cold lately. Maybe we'll have a slight thaw on the 11th.

So far we have a band of 6 and are sitting in section 104. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh USA. USA, USA,USA

Anyone game for listing their starting XI?

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

uh, Mo; ya might want to wait until the squad is picked.

5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Oh la oh la heyyyyyyy!!!

Nice job to the folks attending, I'd like Torres on the left and Beas at left back. I know it's been suggested before, yet unusual, but those two could play at those positions and make the US stronger. Or, I've had too many adult beverages. And as IBM once said: you make the call.

6. Clevelandmo

Hatter this is serious biz, you know who he is picking.

7. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Ummm, we do probably know...

With regard to my prior spew, considering Beas hasn't made the Rangers' bench in about a month, he should be no more than a sub. Boca has featured well at LB for Rennes and could replace Pearce, however would the replacement CB improve the squad enough to justify moving Boca to LB? Is Califf or Parkhurst, or a green Edu, at CB an improvement after moving Boca to LB? I'm vexed, but I lean towards "no."

However, I still want to see Beas feature at LB at some point this year, of course if he can stay fit. I believe Gooch and Boca have enough quality to cover his runs - and think about it, a potential pacy, overlapping fullback to compliment 'dolo.

D'oh, I think the Beas at LB combination would be too much attacking potential for Coach Bradley to handle, let alone employ.

I don't begrudge the man, but damn, Subotic would've made this decision much easier.

8. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Good article on the topic at hand. Hard to argue with his choices. I might swap Jozy with Ching just to keep getting him experience working with Landy, Deuce, etc. But at the same time, it's too big of a game to use for developmental purposes. I'm all for turning DMB into DLB.
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1679/us- ... for-mexico

9. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I like the goal.com article - the same starting 11 I would pick.

I'm going to the game, taking 3 others with me from Baltimore. We're sitting with the Screaming Eagles (don't have tix yet, but I've paid for them with the Eagles.)

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

My point was, Mo, that we don't have any idea of the fitness level of any of the players on the continent -- with the exception of Jozy and Szetela -- because of the mid-winter break.

And yes, Beasley hasn't featured in a while [injury I believe], Edu has only recently made it back to the sub's bench, and Califf hasn't played in a while. The only thing I know for sure is that -- if healthy -- we keep our strongest defensive lineup. And that's Timmy, 'dolo, Gooch, Boca, and mah boy Pearce.

I'd put Jozy up front in every match we have available. I'd love to see him running up front by himself with [perm any two of three] Adu, Deuce, and Landy just behind.

Damn. I almost named a lineup.

11. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Seems to me that there are only a few spots we dont know. Left back, Left Mid, and One of the Strikers.

Also the question of Lando in the middle, in the Hole, or up top - that will change things a bit in the middle, but I still think you will see the same players just moved around.

12. sullytex

sullytex Member

I went to the original Guerra Fria in 2001 with a few friends. We roadtriped from Shadyside in Pittsburgh. Very long drive home after the game as we were spent from the cold and excitement. Very jealous of you guys. Love to see that game.

13. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Just got my tix - section 139, row 6 (right behind North goal)

:-D

14. Clevelandmo

Cherundolo has a hip problem and hasnt been playing so Bradley may have to try Marvell. I think he's up to it, his olympic performances were all good. You could argue that gave him enough big game experience.

I basically agree with the starters in BC's goal.com link. I would start Ching, and bring Jozy on pretty early in second half.

Everybody seems to think LB is a serious weakness. Cant Demerit play left back? Is he injured? No one is saying anthing about Spector of Simek either. Are they injured? Are they both CB's? Couldnt one of them, or Parkhurst, play CB and let Boca go to LB?

Go USA!

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Simek came back from a long-term ankle injury a few weeks ago and got a hamstring injury in his first match. He hasn't featured since.

Spector has made one sub appearance since the Italian midget took over at West Ham. Both of them are primarily RBs. Demerit has also played a lot of RB. Against Mexico, if he can't use 'dolo, I'd be shocked to my socks if he didn't pick Hejduk.

I, for one, don't think that there's any problem at LB with Pearce in the frame. It's the backups that are weak. That's why Bradley has played Eddie Lewis there. But really the only position where we are very strong in backup is CB and defensive mid.

16. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

We'll be in Section 102. Not too far from you guys, mo.

17. Clevelandmo

Great, let me know if you are interested in or hear of any tailgating or pregame pubbing (i.e early dinner, I'll have at least one boy with me).

18. Clevelandmo

Can someone please explain the "Guerra Fria" for the ignorant like me. And Sully (that nickname is an honor you know, it should probably be retired or something) why would you ever leave a place called "Shadyside" and move to Houston?

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

literally, "The Cold War." So named because a significant ally in the match was Pittsburgh weather.

20. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Game sold out in just 90 minutes of general availability.