USMNT Roster for the Sweden Friendly

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by bostoncottage, Aug 14, 2007.

1. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Goalkeepers: Marcus Hahnemann (Reading, England), Tim Howard (Everton)

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham, England), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover, Germany), Jay DeMerit (Watford, England), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard Liege, Belgium), Jonathan Spector (West Ham, England)

Midfielders: DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland), Michael Bradley (Heerenveen, Netherlands), Bobby Convey (Reading, England), Clint Dempsey (Fulham, England), Benny Feilhaber (Derby, England), Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado)

Forwards: Landon Donovan (Los Angeles), Charlie Davies (Hammarby, Sweden), Kamani Hill (Wolfsburg, Germany), Josh Wolff (1860 Munich, Germany), Sal Zizzo (Hannover, Germany)

Considering his U-20 performance and new European address, I thought we might see Adu get the call. I'd have thought he'd get the call over Hill or Zizzo. Too new to Benfica? That aside, looks like a pretty solid group that's more than capable of knocking off Mellow Yellow.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Freddy got an hour of playing time in Euro competition today. I thought that Bradley would go easy on guys new to their clubs. He didn't pick Freddy or Heath Pearce, but he did pick Bease, Feilhaber, and Zizzo.

So, who knows.

I'm liking the mixture of experience and youth for this side.

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I like the mix as well, though I am surprised to see Adu omitted after his move to Benfica. I was anxious to see if Adu featured today, and sure enough, according to Fox's match report he put a cross in that was barely denied by the 'keeper.

I think Feilhaber is an automatic selection from here on out and I am so excited to see Convey fit and on the pitch for Reading. It's easy to forget his skill since he's been MIA for a year, but all of the sudden it appears the USMNT has depth in the midfield. I'm curious to see if Bradley adjusts tactics to accomodate the quality (for the U.S. at least) midfielders.

Does anybody know if the Swedish match is televised?

4. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Re: RE: USMNT Roster for the Sweden Friendly

U.S. Men vs. Sweden
    Live on FSC and Galavision
    08/22/2007 2:30 PM ET

5. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

RE: Re: RE: USMNT Roster for the Sweden Friendly

I'm surprised Pablo is going. I can see LandyLakes and Bornstein, but Mastro is too old to be making cross Atlantic trips for one game that he likely won't play in. If you're going to call a 3rd MLS player, I'd give Altidore the call (I'd do so over any number of the Europe-based Striker choices).

I am surprised by the lack of Adu as well.