USMNT lacks "sophistication" ...

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by ohio4fulham, Sep 18, 2008.

1. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

2. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

When I read the cut off thread title in the right hand column it looked like it said "USMNT lacks sophists".

I thought, why the hell do we need sophists? I'd rather have Plato in central defense.

As for the article, I'm kind of empathetic towards this, "its only CONCACAF we actually suck", stuff at this point. Maybe but probably not.

3. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Unfortunately, the US has a tendency to play down to their competition's level. That being said, the US does not lack attacking options and it is a matter of whether Bob Bradley will take a chance on them or not.

Currently Bradley utilizes Ching, Dempsey, Donovan, Johnson, Adu and Altidore either as forwards or make shift attacking players.

Those he has snubbed thus far would be Charlie Davies and Kenny Cooper. Both are dynamic players in their own right. Davies possesses tremendous speed and poise on the ball. The only match he featured for the US he nearly scored two goals in the closing minutes. Cooper's size is a huge asset to him, but he shouldn't be typecast as a Ching or McBride like player. He is comfortable with his back to goal, but is more effective when he can take on defenders directly and has great movement in the box.

In my opinion, these two players should be capped several more times before the next WC and if they aren't included in the roster for the WC it will be a shame.

4. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

I definitely agree about Davies and Cooper and I wouldn't mind seeing Subotic given a cap or two.

That being said I would agree with those who say that CONCACAF is a poor barometer for our men's team development. We dominated CONCACAF prior to the 2006 WC and still managed a paltry two goals in the first group stage, one of which was an own-goal by Italy. I know it was a difficult group, but we have to be able to say at some point that our "local" competition alone isnt' enough to adequately prepare us for the WC.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

CONCACAF may be inadequate competition for getting somewhere on the world stage, but I think it can still be a barometer. In recent years we have been more and more of a dominant force in CONCACAF so I think that shows we are improving.

To me it's a double-edged sword - do we have more of a chance of doing well in the WC by getting there every four years or by getting there not as often but out of a competitive region. I kind of prefer our chances in the former.

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I love the USMNT. It is, all in all (and no slight to FFC, as the USMNT brought me to Fulham), my favorite team.

And as if my feelings aren't already known around here, and while I believe that BB has done a respectable job and I want him to maintain some role in the USMNT, I reiterate the squad requires and deserves a world-class manager in order to reach the next level (which, in my mind is becoming a favorite to advance out of the groups at each WC).

Regardless of the level of talent present in CONCACAF (b/c the USMNT can schedule tough friendlies, as done recently and this summer, and strive to continue competition in Copa America), the USMNT have enough talent (by the skin of their teeth albeit, but look at Australia) to be a threat to win against the vast majority of WC squads and an internationally experienced manager would see this to be the case.

As more and more young, US talent plays abroad, I believe an internationally experienced manager would produce consistent results that we'd be happy to see. Until the USMNT employs such a manager and fails, I will believe we can do better than BB or an equivalent.

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Re: RE: USMNT lacks "sophistication" ...

Me too!

8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Re: RE: USMNT lacks "sophistication" ...

"i like you, betty." :banana:

seriously, i love mo's passion for the colors!

ives highlights 7 players he feels should get a look now that the hex round is pretty much locked up: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/st ... us&cc=5901

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

All the years I spent watching Luton go one or two positions short of promotion make me feel really good about the fact that the USA is now pretty much guaranteed to make the WC finals. I have no problem with CONCACAF, and I don't think that it hurts us. I think it's a good idea to schedule friendlies with non-CONCACAF sides, and I like what we're doing.

As far as "is CONCACAF membership hurting the overall quality of the squad," I think a reality check is in order. This has nothing to do with sophistication or Bradley's ambitions or his tactics.

Let's compare the overall QUANTITY of competent attackers, midfielders, defenders, and goalkeepers of the following countries:

USA, Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, France, England, Spain, and Portugal.

We only compete in goalkeeping -- Friedel, Howard, Guzan, Hahnneman, and Keller probably make us #1 or #2 world wide in that category. But we don't compete with any of the eight countries I named in any other category. Face it, Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Spain, and Portugal have key starters in all positions in all of the major world leagues. We don't, and we're a lot cheaper to buy and cheaper to pay than any of those guys. If you need any convincing, check out ESPN SOCCERNET's lineups after the weekend matches are over. Count the number of Brazilian or Italian or Argentinean or Portuguese strikers and midfielders starting in the top levels of each of the European leagues. Then count the Americans.

So, I'm figuring we'll qualify. I'm hoping to get into the knock-out rounds in South Africa. If we get into the quarters, it will have to come as the result of a lot of bizarre referring or pure luck. We're just not that DEEP yet.

If you're looking for a reason, forget Bradley. Consult Brad Friedel who believes that the youth development system in soccer here in the US is actually driving talented players away to other sports.

10. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

This thread is going a little off kilter. It's not about whether or not we belong w/the world's powerhouses (of course we don't) or whether or not CONCACAF sucks (of course it does, and luckily so for USMNT fans). It's about whether or not our attack is seriousily lacking under Bradley. There is enough quality in the side that we should be creating a ton more chances against inferior competition instead of waiting almost solely on set pieces.

11. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

HatterDon ... I saw the interview with Friedel and he's right that youth development costs too much money and that not enough organizations and clubs effectively cultivate young talent. And it's great that he offers free camps and essentially pays for young players to go through youth development. So, he's right that we're not getting as far as we could because of our current youth system.

That being said, I'd agree that until we get a coach who has a comprehensive understanding of international football we won't know what our current side is capable of. Everyone would have to think that our team would be playing with more vision and movement and consistency if we were coached by, say, Guus Hiddink of someone like that.

I love our national team and if the game is televised I never miss it ... I just want to see us do as well as I think we're capable of doing.