1. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

I normally wait and just read as the topics get set up. But for some reason, I'm extremely nervous for this game. Mexico in an absolute must win, and the US coming off what I assumed was a not-so-great performance from everything I read. There's just something that stinks about this game.

On a lighter note, my neighbor from Mexico City had to cancel the neighborhood watch party we had set up. He was scared that if they got down he would be too angry and say something offensive. i'll still push my way into his house, where he'll make me watch univision so I won't understand what's being said.

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Re: US/MEXICO

I was suppose to be at this match as usual but US Soccer decided to @%&$ with us all and offer some sort of lottery disguised as a ticket purchase. Then when we dont get tickets, we are given the opportunity to buy an expensive overnight package with other "perks" when we are a two hour drive away. Fans in the Cleveland area are livid. Not even sure I can cheer for them tomorrow with the way this was handled. Hope a lot of Mexican fans managed to buy tickets because I sure as hell couldn't.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Mo, commiserations... but..
    I dont recall how the first one -2001- was done, but those since have been done by the same quasi- lottery.
    I was there in '05 because Crew ST holders got dibs. At the 2001, I was sent out of town last minute and recall thinking as I watched in a bar in Raleigh, NC that I was glad I wasn't there after all. Does thta mean I had TIX and didnt use them??? Dunno.

As I recall from the Crew forum, it was same in '09. I probably could have gone, then but figgered someone more enthusiastic should go instead.

It's sort of a shame, but I have to be honest. I expect the best result for us is a draw, Mex is desperate... and this to be the last US qualifier match at Crew Stadium.

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

'fog, in the past I have been able to just buy a ticket. As far as Columbus, went to 2009 WCQ vs Mexico and went to 9/11 WCQ vs Jamaica last year; I got a ticket by buying one on the first day. And I certainly didnt have to purchase an overnight option that included other stuff. In addtition, I attended four USMNT friendlies and two GC matches, always just bought a ticket - no lottery, no package. I'm not the only one annoyed by this so I know I'm not just having a bad day.

5. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

No mention of the fact that Mexico canned their coach (yet again) following the loss to Honduras? That can only help us.

I think we mailed the Costa Rica match in to an extent after the early goals and that we'll see a strong effort in front of the home crowd against our main rival. 2-1 USA.

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yes, but we're going to be missing a few key players. Any word how long Michael Bradley will be out of action? I know he will be missed for this match, as well as Altidore and Besler. :doh:

7. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

And Cameron. If there's any way the US could've shot itself in the foot more than this, please let me know (thanks Jozy!). Maybe Bradley recovers as ankles are funny. At least Mexico are in shambles right now, but somebody for the US needs to step up and score some goals (I'm looking at you, Johannsson)

Also, did E. Johnson actually play in the Costa Rica match?

8. tim

tim Active Member

Goodson, Corona, Torres, and Davis all called in to replenish the ranks. John Brooks was released back to Hertha Berlin, so no debut for him tomorrow.

9. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

THE PROPHET SPEAKS!

Although I'm guessing you were referring to the risk of aggravating the old, or picking up a new (because of the old) injury. Who knows, maybe the yellow was because of the injury, eh? Either way, the bloom is off the rose, and the momentum from the Gold Cup run has all but evaporated. Still haven't heard, read or seen how Michael Bradley injured an ankle in warm-ups. I know it happens, but, sheesh...

I know US Soccer wants to spread the wealth, and God knows I'd really like to be there since it's only a 3 hour, 8 minute, 43 second drive from my house, but I kinda wish this one was gonna be in Seattle. Our lads need a big 12th man pick-me--up, and though I'm confident the region will back them to the hilt, 67,000 is still more than 20,000.

I think the Mexicans are going to be highly motivated by their recent poor form and the firing of the coach, and will adopt the characteristics of a predator backed into a corner. I smell danger for our boys, especially with the yellow card suspensions and Bradley, arguably our most important intangible cog, injured. No predictions from me, I'll just be biting my nails hoping we find a way to get at least a point out of what could be a very chippy affair.

DEE-FENSE! DEE-FENSE! (clap, clap...clap, clap, clap!) X's A ZILLION!

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yes, Eddie played. And Bradley is a definite scratch for tomorrow. He has a grade 2 ankle sprain. He injured it basically on his last practice shot as he went to kick the ball he slide on the turf and rolled on his ankle. Is it me or did it seem like a lot more of our guys were slipping and sliding on that turf as opposed to Costa Rica? :think: Conspiracy Theories, yay!

11. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Besler's yellow card was such a joke (5:40 mark).

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjDaW3VXjnw[/youtube]

Ouch.

[​IMG]

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Players available for the match:
    Line-ups? and Predictions?

My best guess:
    Howard
    Parkhurst---Gonzo---Goodson---Beasley
    Zusi---Jones---Beckerman---FJ
    Donovan
    Dempsey

potential subs/alt Diskerud for Beckerman, Davis for Beasley, EJ for Zusi

That's my best guess on what the line-up could be. Outcome? Too nervous and superstitious to make any. I just wonder which Mexico and US teams we'll see. But I hope we whip them like the ladies did to their counterparts, 7-0. Chat room anyone?

13. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I'll be in the chatroom. :flags-usa:

14. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Will try and be in the chat for the first half. I think your lineup is the one we will see Heather, even though I'd prefer Mix instead of Beckerman. Would really like to see Johannson come on at some point.

15. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I think EJ starts up top and Donovan and Dempsey slide back. Zusi will either go to the bench or Fabian will slide back pushing one of the fullbacks to the bench to make room for Donovan in the midfield. That is what I think will happen. This is what I want to see:

..............Timmy

Parkhurst-Omar-Goodsen-Johnson

.............Beckerman

Bedoya........Jones..........Donovan

.........Dempsey - Johannsson

I would prefer to have the option of bringing EJ off the bench once Mexico is tired and all I want Beckerman to do tonight is sit and protect the back four. Bedoya can do all the running and provide width on the right so Parkhurst can sit at home and Donovan and Fabian can interchange with Fabian pushing forward to give the US width on the left. Dempsey needs to sit level with Johannsson so we have two forwards and Jones can roam the middle of the park breaking up plays. I would play it as a 4-4-2 with Beckerman's empahsis being defensive. Call it a diamond midfield if you like but I don't picture Jones as a true attacking mid. I would just let him get farther up the pitch than Beckerman on a regular basis.

If we don't have a target forward the game plan should reflect that we don't have a target forward. Getting the ball to Donovan and letting him cut inside to interact with Demps and Aron looks like a better option than playing the ball forward to EJ as a hold up player to me.

16. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I agree, this looks good. Play to the strengths that remain, but Johannsson and Dempsey should start up top. EJ was a ghost in the last match (subjecively speaking). I'll be travelling when the match starts, but made sure to fly on Virgin America so I could watch the match mid-air.

Good luck to all in the chat and COUSMNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Sorry, I don't always pick-up on sarcasm in print.:oops:

18. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

What a joke!

I hope the Besler yellow gets reviewed and, at a minimum, the confederation admits that it was wrong. It won't get him on the field tonight, but it should reflect on the record for the officiating crew.

19. tim

tim Active Member

I'll still be at the office when this kicks off, so no chatroom and a media blackout until I get home and fire up the DVR. I'm of the belief we need a striker out there, even if it's EJ. It's not so much about him; but that will allow Dempsey and Donovan to play their better roles and we'll get more out of them (which is vital). Haven't seen enough of Aron to know if he's an option up top, but as long as we have someone there, I'll be happy.

Until then, I'm biting my fingernails. COYRWB!

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'll watch tape delayed this evening after choir practice. No chatroom for me, but hope y'all have a great group and a good result.