USA v Jamaica

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by dcheather, Oct 8, 2013.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

here's the roster:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
    DEFENDERS (6): DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City) Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy)
    MIDFIELDERS (6): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Jermaine Jones (Schalke), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
    FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders FC)

Line-ups and predictions? :banana-dance:

Nothing like some USMNT to ease some of the pain of watching Fulham play lately...or at least I hope so. :cool:

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I believe Gonzalez is injured so he is out. Replaced by Orozco. The lack of center defenders in the group is worrying. Cameron has not been playing center defense so that leaves you Besler. Dont get why Gonzalez is replaced by a right back.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Biggest disappointment is Brooks (even more than Clint or Michael not being available) getting hurt in Germany and not being ready to be called up and play in his first official US match. For that very reason Johannsson MUST play. I thought Jermaine Jones was injured?

Seeing who is available would have to think the back line will be; Beas Cameron Besler Evans

4. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Orozco can also play CB.

5. LaxAttack

1) If you are worrying about Johannsson getting cap tied (that is how I read it since you were talking about Brooks), he has already played in a qualifier and he was already cap tied once his FIFA one-time switch was approved. That all said, I would like to see him play more than injury time sub like he did against Costa Rica.

2) Jones is healthy.....the injury story came from the German tabloid Bild.

6. SoCalJoe

Thanks Lax, that was indeed the point I was getting at, I thought Aron had only played a friendly. Brooks plays in Germany and could face a lot of pressure to change mind.

7. LaxAttack

EJ picked up a groin strain in training so he has been replaced by Wondo.

Klinsi also called in Goodson and Brad Davis.

8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

:clap:

Saw Goodson and Wondo play last night at Buck Shaw against the Rapids and each looked solid. No shame in those call-ups (but I may be a bit biased). Of note, Colorado's keeper made a number of great saves in the match (as did the woodwork) as it should've been 3 or 4 nil to San Jose.

I hope this won't be a lingering problem for EJ - the squad needs him in Brazil.

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Doesn't exactly feel like an important match, but I am looking forward to tonight's match. Who can make it to the chat?

10. LaxAttack

A pretty boring 70 minutes but finally broke Jamaica's will with that first goal.

The team started to come alive once Sacha came onto the field (and they switched into a 4-2-3-1).

Would like to see more of Cameron/Besler as the CB pairing.

11. SoCalJoe

Not sure how the weather has been in KC, but chunks of the sod were getting ripped up left and right. A couple guys that helped themselves stay in that competition for those final 4 or 5 spots were Castillo and Sacha. Both provided huge sparks when a bad performance might have sealed their fate.

12. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

Tweet of the night last night (can't remember who tweeted it), was "What's jamaican for Dos A Cero?"

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

anybody else think that Jamaica was like a Hodgson team on the road? They were dificult to break down, very disciplined, and offered no real threat in attack.

I was berating myself for staying up so late after a very long day. That lasted until about the 65th minute. The change in Jozy's attitude was palpable. I was really ooking forward to him playing with Johansson, but Jozy did exactly everything bad until he left the pitch. Perplexing.