USA - Argentina Match (8 Jun, Giants Stadium)

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by andypalmer, Mar 28, 2008.

1. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Looks like a good matchup.

I'll be setting up a bus to the game from the Baltimore area. ~50 USA fans sitting together (getting home at 2 am won't be fun for Monday morning, but it'll be worth it!)

2. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Hopefully you help fill Giants Stadium...It would be a shame to see it empty...hopefully the hype of Euro will help that...or the USSF can actually do some marketing.

3. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Excellent work andy. Hope you're ready for WC qualifyiers!

5. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I still have tickets left for the Argentina game.

I'll be buying a block of tickets for the Oct 11 game at RFK (vs Cuba or Antigua and Barbuda).

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Hope you have a barnburner of a match to watch. Anyone have an idea of the relative strength of the Argentine side? Messi? Tevez? Mascherano? Ardiles? Rattin? Evita?

7. jmh

jmh New Member

You mean like spares for people who want to go and watch with other Americans? :shock:

I can't say what they'll do on Sunday, obviously, but against Mexico on Wednesday they started a basically full-strength side including Messi, Aguero, Mascherano and Maxi Rodriguez. I don't know why but Tevez wasn't called into the squad for these friendlies.

8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

No Riquelme either.

9. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

For all the US fans I just hope this doesn't get embarrasing. 60,000 Mexican fans saw their team get biiaattcch-slapped in San Diego 4-1 a couple of days ago v Argentina. If they play w/the same quality (it was a show) expect at least 3 or 4 goals from them.

10. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Re: RE: USA - Argentina Match (8 Jun, Giants Stadium)

AndyP you need US Soccer and NJ officials to give you some free advertisement because of this

11. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Yes, US Fan section tickets....

I've asked US Soccer - they can't do it. i.e., they can't sell sponsor advertising and then give me advertising for free, nor can they place me "above" the other groups that are doing similar things.

Tevez is exhausted and requested taking off this round of friendlys/qualifiers

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

so, anybody gonna be in the chatroom for this? I'll sacrifice a chicken over my laptop and see if that'll make it work.

What say, gang?

13. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

the lineup is a shocker. CD and MB starting...as well as Pablo and Califf. No Adu.

14. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I only saw the second half, but I thought we did a good job. Especially after going a man down.

I think the Argies looked too much at our previous two games.

Howard is a BULL!

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Great match tonight; good performances by Timmy, my boy Pearce, Califf, Gooch, 'dolo. Solid match by EJ. I like him more and more at striker. Nice to see Freddy on the pitch. Can't figure out Mastroeni's red. Having said that, I can't remember seeing a USMNT match with pablo on the field when he DIDN'T get a card.

Disappointment tonight was Landon. He didn't have the explosiveness or pace. It has to be the groin, but without those attributes, we lost whatever edge we had.

Feels good to hold a side that kicked Mexico's ass earlier in the week.

What REALLY PISSES ME OFF, however, is the fact that I saw "futbol" advertised on two marquees on my way back from church today -- both said Mexico v. Peru.

Bring on the WC qualifiers; we're ready.

16. Terrier4FFC

Terrier4FFC New Member

I thought the boys played with a lot of grit. Random thoughts: Dempsey set the tone early. I've never seen Califf before and he really impressed. The MOM has to be Howard. The ref must have made a mistake on Mastroeni's red. Mascherono deserved his red. After England, I was thinking "oh dearie me." I know the're friendlies and all, but we played Spain and Argentina pretty well. Playing three top-flight countries before the qualifying was a good idea.

17. BarryP

BarryP New Member

MOM definately was Howard! Superb 1 v 1 stops. I was not disappointed with Donovan at all especially after Adu came on and settled down he and Adu combined well and pressed the Argies defenders on multiple occasions. Donovan also put some punch back in our set pieces. Adu again did a great job of putting defenders on their back foot.

18. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I heard Howard was a beast in net.

I can't wait to go to next weekend's qualifier against Barbados. My first USMNT match in person.

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Tim Howard was superb. I'm so glad I watched the whole game. I'm sorry for Bocanegra fans, but he was not missed at all. Califf and Onyewu did well in the first half, but Califf and Demerit did even better together. It's nice knowing you have some more depth in the back. I believe that was something that was lacking for the United States going into WC '06. Also, we are getting some depth in the midfield. I thought Donovan, Edu, Adu, and Kljestan had a pretty decent game there(even though they didn't see much time, but not Donovan who got the start). I'm not sure want the reasoning was for not starting Adu, I would be curious to see what he could do against the best competition. Oh well. Overall not bad, I think the team played defensively. The midfield put some good passes together at the end when each team had a player sent off. The only thing we need to improve upon is getting some more shots on goal.

Btw, HatterDon, Pearce was was pretty darn good this game. I think he will improve his game more after this experience, if only to give him a boost in confidence.

20. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Kljestan showed some pretty good flashes in there. He's one worth keeping an eye on, which means if he continues to show well, bye-bye Middle School League.

Everyone else pretty much covered the rest. DeMerit look like he REALLY wants to be in there, and Califf probably resurrected his USMNT career with last night's performance.