US Supporters of English Clubs

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by DCDave, Jan 10, 2007.

1. DCDave

DCDave Member

I saw this post on TFI and I thought it was a good question but I don't have a good answer, other than when I used to go to the bar to watch the games that the three biggest clubs were ManU, Liverpool and Arsenal, and that a large percentage fans were from the UK. Any thoughts?

-----------------------

English Football Clubs support in the USA. -- Lenny, Wednesday, January 10, 06:00:57pm
    Does anyone know the rough number of supporters that English clubs have in the US? I ask not only because we are raising our profile significantly signing leading US players but becuase I saw a TV interview recently with the MD (I think, the guy who is not Kenyon) of The Scum and he said "we have no fan presence in the States." This suprised me a bit because they have obviously targetted that market since the Russian arrived. Makes you wonder how many clubs are ahead of us over there in terms of profile and fans.

Do any of the American fans on here have any clue? Thanks.

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I wouldn't know what to guess as to the numbers. Soccer is still on the lower side of popularity among Americans as to sporting events. But as to what teams are the most popular, I would rank in this order:

1. Manchester United--they were about the only ones that got any press whatsoever for many years in the States.
    2. Liverpool
    3. Arsenal
    4. Celtic (3 and 4 could be switched, I suppose)
    5. Everyone else.

3. BC

BC New Member

RE: Re: US Supporters of English Clubs

Agreed. I've seen a few Spurs fans about as well. I guess if we could access the number of FSC subscribers, it might give a rough estimate as EPL is a large part of what they show.

4. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

I think there's a Spurs supporters club near me. I should go watch Fulham v. Tottenham there.

5. JMF

JMF New Member

Man Utd. is obviously #1. I'd honestly put Arsenal #2, Liverpool a distant 3, and you're on your own after that. To be honest, the only "big" club that isn't HUGELY popular in the U.S. is Chelsea. (as far as I can tell).

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Who says Americans don't have any sense! :banana:

Seriously, I think most of the "support" deals with fashion. I can't tell you how many people I've seen wearing ManUre or Arse-nal attire who have no idea about the team or who plays on it, never mind the history and who the rivals are.

I've seen a lot of people wearing Samsung Blue, and generally don't talk to them, but at a gig we did at a pub a while back, a guy in a Chelsea jersey talked to HatterMom who was wearing her Bocanegra jersey about me [in my McBride jersey]. He said he was a huge fan of McBride's from the USMNT. She said, "guess since you're a Chelsea fan you don't care much for him when he plays for Fulham, though." She said he just had a blank look on his face. Typical fashionista.