US / South Africa friendly Pre and Post Game [R]

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by bostoncottage, Nov 9, 2007.

1. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

{was orig posted: Partial roster for South Africa friendly.
    -pf }

JOZY!! JOZY!! JOZY!!

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Tim Howard (Everton, England)

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham, England), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover, Germany), Dan Califf (Aalborg, Denmark), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard Liege, Belgium)

Midfielders: Freddy Adu (Benfica, Portugal), DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland), Michael Bradley (Heerenveen, Netherlands), Maurice Edu (Toronto), Benny Feilhaber (Derby, England), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Eddie Lewis (Derby, England)

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (New York), Clint Dempsey (Fulham, England), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles)

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

RE: Partial roster for South Africa friendly

Wish Bradley would call up Spector. If the forward list remains the same Josy should get a cap!!!

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Partial roster for South Africa friendly

Eddie Lewis has been a great player for us, but we're not exactly hurting for left-footed wide players. We need to thank him profusely and consider him well after people like Beasely, Convey, and Pearce.

I like Josy for 90 minutes. What say you?

4. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

Re: RE: Partial roster for South Africa friendly

The future looks bright to me for the USMNT as long as we keep giving these young awesome talents a chance to get international experience. I hope Michael and Bob can become a great story for the USA, along with all the other talented young lads we're grooming for Mundial success

5. Clevelandmo

Re: RE: Partial roster for South Africa friendly

I have high hopes for Michael, Freddy, Josy, and the other youngin's. I had high hopes for Bob too but am now a little worried. I made a post on another thread asking people to watch a video of him coaching during pregame and halftime of the US - Swiss friendly. No one responded. What bothered me about it is that he didnt say anything regarding strategy, opponents play, opponents players, adjustments, etc. He also seemed very tense and manic. If you want to see it you can access it on the US Soccer website. I would love it if someone could ease my mind and assure me that he does actually provide some value-added to the team (excepting his son of course).

6. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Partial roster for South Africa friendly

isnt donovan going to be somewhere in australia or new zealand during all of this, or is that later?

otherwise i could really care less about this match. yeah its a friendly, but unless i am completely mistaken south africa is not very good.

7. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

RE: Re: RE: Partial roster for South Africa friendly

Aaron Mokoena (Blackburn Rovers)
    Steven Pienaar (Everton)
    Benedict McCarthy (Blackburn Rovers)

South Africa are ranked 69th, but do have some decent players (the 3 above plus a few more than play in the Bundesliga). Plus, they'll be at home.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

having a match in the locale of the next WC isn't ever a bad idea.

9. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Lewis has been dropped due to injury, Pearce and Spector have been called in.

10. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

No DeMerit in the back? That's a little odd, unless he turned down the call up since Watford are tearing through the CCC.

Oh man I am excited to see Jozy up front with Duece. I hate to put so much belief in one young player, but he's got the showings of a solid striker. I'd like to see him get signed by Newcastle United so he can get some Prem league experience.

11. EricD

EricD New Member

Hey QuickDraw,
    DeMerit pulled his calf pretty bad.
    http://yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=3530

I am interested in how he is going to line this team up. Since we have a lot of depth and talent in the midfield, then there are a lot of options in terms of a 4-3-3, a 4-5-1, etc... I prefer to see Feilhaber and Bradley in the middle as opposed to seeing Feilhaber used on the outside. I like to see more speed and attack on the outside with Beas, Adu, LD, Kljestan. Not sure if Edu can play the outside.

12. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

thanks for the info, Eric. Too bad about the injury. I'd really like to see us solidify our backline and keep tinkering to a minimum.

13. Clevelandmo

Why Newcastle? Are there rumors?

While I want to see Dempsey, I also want to see the Adu/Altidore combo that was the U20 WC.

14. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

yeah, Newcastle had a rumor on their site the other day saying they were interested and had attended several matches after having seen him in the U-21's World Cup. So this was a partial list of those called up...Does anyone know who else has been added to the squad if anyone? I'm curious. Also, Lewis was not held out because of injury, he was held out by Derby who don't want to risk injury. I'm with Don that we have a bunch of other quality left wingers who are better than Lewis (although I love Eddie) so no big deal that he's been withdrawn from the squad. I'd like to see Convey called in because before his injury he was playing some good football, and would like to see him get his form back. also, why not Johann Smith from Bolton?

15. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

There was some posting on a Newcastle United blog last week stating they were scouting young Jozy, as well as other rumors stating the same thing floating around the internets.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I agree that the time is right for Convey. He played 60 minutes against Arsenal, and had an assist in a reserve match earlier in the week. He should be fit. As for Johann Smith, he's down in League 2 where he's potted a couple of goals, but the team he's with is looking for promotion, so I doubt if he's called. I think his time is more next year, along with Jemal Johnson [also on loan in the 4th division] if he get's his head together.

17. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

great updates Don. I also found out additional info i was looking for on this blog.
    http://mnt-ussoccer.blogspot.com/2007_1 ... 5376153777

Looks like the team is solidified...only 17 players available to play meaning there are a few guys that will have to go 90. I'm thinking Adu may be one of them. It'll be interesting to see if Guzan gets an opportunity, although w/ Timmy being in the squad I don't see that happening.

18. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Anyone else gonna watch the match tomorrow? It's supposedly on FSC. here is who is available for the match:

Goalkeepers (2) – Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Tim Howard (Everton FC)
    Defenders (7) –Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham FC), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Dan Califf (Aalborg BK), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard de Liege), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United)
    Midfielders (6) – Freddy Adu (SL Benfica), DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers), Michael Bradley (SC Heerenveen), Maurice Edu (Toronto FC), Benny Feilhaber (Derby County), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA)
    Forwards (2) – Josmer Altidore (New York Red Bulls), Clint Dempsey (Fulham FC)

My lineup:
    --------------Howard------------
    'Dolo--Onyewu---Boca---Pearce
    ----------Edu-------Bradley----
    Feilhaber-------------Beasley
    ------------Adu----------------
    -----------------Dempsey------

2 defensive mids, Adu just behind Dempsey. what think ye?

19. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

oh yeah...and Altidore to come off the bench at the half

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'll be watching, doggie, but I outsmarted myself. My regular haircut is at 0830 so I can be home for a 9 o'clock kickoff, but tomorrow's kickoff is at 0800 central ... so I'll miss much of the first half.

If I can get my laptop to cooperate, I'll check out the chatroom and you can catch me up on what I missed!