US Soccer Unofficial theme song

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I posted this on the pre-event thread but I'm not sure if many took a look. Weezer wrote a song for the US 2010 World Cup run - I love it. Turns out lead singer, Rivers Cuomo, is an avid soccer and US MNT fan. As a kid he played pretty seriously until a condition with his leg ended any hopes he had as an athlete. He had to sit on the sidelines as a fan and watch his HS soccer team win the state championship. That is when he turned to music. Later he found out there was a surgical procedure to correct his leg condition. He had it done and was able to play soccer again as an adult. He got to play in a fundraising event with Mia and Landon (the footage you dont recognize in the video is him training for and playing in the fundraiser).

http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/we ... -team/9468

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mo, thanks for posting this. I just linked it on FB. Great stuff throughout. I loved all the CD9 footage, but my favorite still is Gooch staring down Borghetti.

Oh, and I would have thought that "Pink Triangle" was more identifiable as Weezer than "Buddy Holly." But maybe that's just me.

3. US_Soccer_Song

US_Soccer_Song New Member

Check out "Rhythm of the ball" here: http://www.ussoccersong.com

The beat is catchy but more importantly the lyrics are awesome!

This song was co-written by vocalist and songwriter Frank Morrison (ASCAP) and producer Randall Michael Tobin from Theta Sounds Music (ASCAP) who collaborated with Morrison in the arrangement.

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Thanks for posting that US Soccer Song. The tune does have some nice rhythm, but dude it sounds like Latin music.. Given Rock started in the US and the Mexican National team is our sworn enemy, I cant get into it. US soccer songs need to be rock, or hip hop, if you must. Listen to the lyrics in the Weezer song - they describe everything the USA team is AND needs to be in the future (i.e "it matters whether you win or lose" for the latter).

I do like that the video shows a pic of Clint in his Fulham jersey. Thanks again.