Unsettling piece on British freedoms -- or lack thereof

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SteveM19, Jun 16, 2008.

1. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

When I last lived in Old Blighty, in the early 90s, there was a lot of talk about a Citizens Charter, a sort of Bill of Rights. One afternoon, I was at the pub :shock: and a guy turned to me and said, you've got a Bill of Rights in the states. Do you think we need one?" I responded, "if you didn't need one, we wouldn't have one."

Americans don't realize that in England,

a. the PM runs both the Executive and Legislative branches.
    b. there is no independent judiciary.
    c. the "2nd house" remains compliant to The Commons knowing full well that if they squawk, the Commons can disband them at will.
    d. Parliamentary supremacy allows the PM to eliminate local and regional governments at will. Indeed PM Thatcher eliminated the Greater London Council over night after the Laborite she hated got elected as its head.
    e. there is no guaranteed freedom of the press. There's a buttload of prior restraint, and always has been.
    f. the Government party is basically all powerful, even if it has only a relatively slim majority. There is NO law that cannot be overturned by a simple majority.
    g. the primary role of a legislator is to attend parliamentary debates and SAY NOTHING.

So, no; none of this is really surprising. When your consituents are "subjects" rather that "citizens," not as much individual freedom is expected or allowed.

That doesn't mean they aren't nice people. 8)

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I'm pretty sure there is something in the latest French anti-terrorism legislation that allows you to be detained for acting "unFrench". And they admire Great Britain's cameras - hoping to get just as many if not more installed around their country.

Hey, I still see it all as being done for the safety of people and the protection of property. They know they will be scrutinized by human rights groups looking to find abuses.