U-Wave Oven Myths: Fun stuff for the curious

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Feb 18, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for a good site that debunks a lot of myth about Microwave ovens, and this comes closest:
    UNWISE MICROWAVE OVEN EXPERIMENTS
    High Voltage in the Kitchen

The MOST important myth debunked is the most widespread:

'Microwaves Cook From the Inside Out' which is and always WAS bullsiht and easily countered by anyone who actually pays attention.. which you would THINK cooks would. But they are among the worst offenders in spreading it.

A close second concerns using metals in a microwave. And the question that arises when you see some microwaves have metal racks. That is explained in there, in terms of why not putting metal in a microwave is a general rule.

Which {present and former} Waveguide/RF engineers {like me} can exempt themselves from... but smart people {like me} wouldnt.
    {File under: 'Lightning in a box'}
    My Brother bought a house which included a wall mounted Microwave that had 'caught fire'. Almost all smoke damage, easily cleaned off but one of the plastic fasteners that held the rack was melted and burned to a crisp. I looked at the metal rack and showed him a small bit of 'welding flash' next to the fastener point. That 'lightning rod' allowed the energy built up in the rack to 'short' to the oven box at the fastener hole, which also, of course, provided an 'edge'

A lot of the debunking concerns how microwaves actually work... why you cant use them to 'sterilize stuff' ie; just because it kills your cat, doesnt mean it'll zap microbes. Or even fruit flies.

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I was surprised about the fruit fly surviving . . . interesting