TX Rangers and drugs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Feb 10, 2009.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It used to be that the Rangers were a joke ... you know:

Q What does Michael Jackson have in common with a Texas Rangers infielder?

A Both wear a glove on one hand for no apparent reason.

Now it appears that they're now the epicenter of the performance enhancing universe. Here's a SA columnist's take on it

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/colu ... clean.html

Yet another opportunity for you Tom Hicks haters to get your cardio!

2. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I blame Bush.

3. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Baseball - Frrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

Baseball and Steroids - Double Frrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

The timeline is too tight and the author drops a few good hints as to the true nature of the 'confession.'

Now - about that Single Season Home Run record...

4. IanHux

IanHux New Member

For those who want a bit of useless trivia. A-Rod struck out to give the Seattle Mariners their 116th regular season win in 2001 aka the year he spurned the M's for the ungodly amount of money and the year he supposedly started using steroids.... Karma perhaps?

5. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

This is almost no news from my perspective. The reality is nearly half the league was on them before they were banned, as you all know, so we need to move on and the media needs to quit pretending it is news. The whole era from 1994-2006 should be forever considered the steroid era and all records should be * if anyone acheived them during this era. Even the ones who didn't cheat as the entire league, CEO to waterboy were complicit in it. Major League Baseball is joke and this is coming from a SF Giants season ticket-holder for many years.

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Re: RE: TX Rangers and drugs

Exactly what I was thinking.

This should buy Keith Oberman a few more episodes of his show before it is cancelled.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

good point Ridge -- especially the part about taking stuff THAT WASN'T AGAINST THE LAW when they took it.

My last word on this: steroids don't make you hit the ball farther or more often. They don't make your curve break better or your fastball hop more. They don't make you run faster or field better. All they do is allow you to recover more quickly from workouts. Barry Bonds didn't hit all those homers and hit .370 at the age of 39 because of steroids. Don't believe it? Dope yourself up and see how well you can hit.

As soon as a lot of this stuff was listed as illegal, folks who were using it stopped doingso. What's wrong with that? Making records set during the 80s forward suspect is like putting an asterisk on all pitching records that occurred before the spitter was outlawed, or putting asterisks on Babe Ruth's record because he played for several years when a ball that bounced over the fence was considered a homer instead of a ground-rule double -- or calling all hitting and pitching records before 1947 as invalid because blacks couldn't compete.

The truth is that A-Rod and Bonds and Clemens and Albert Pujols are as great as anyone who's ever played the game. We are in the middle of the greatest bunch of players to grace the game since the 1920s/1930s, and pretty much nobody appreciates it. Sigh

Oh, and Christian, I blame the Clintons -- for everything.

8. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

It wasn't against the insular world of baseball's law, but in that pesky thing called society, HGH and anabolic steroids were very much illegal.

At the risk of citing wikipedia -- HGH -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_growth_hormone -- see the 3rd paragraph

Anabolic steroids -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabolic_steroids
    If there illegal, if you're taking them to hit, recover, or be as much of a nancy boy as Alex Rodriguez, you're just wrong.

As far as he is concerned, I expected as much. This story is so much of a nonsurprise and is so hyped by ESPN and even CNN and Fox News, that I turn it off every time it comes on. Alex, you're so predictable. My 2 year old son could see you were juicing, if he were to be able to get past your agent and hype machine.

I blame Olbermann -- isn't he a big baseball guy?