Transfers question

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by astroevan, Dec 26, 2013.

1. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Having only followed the Premier league for a few years now, I'm a little confused about some comments regarding transfers and how things work in general. I've seen in a few places that a team "will have trouble keeping" a certain player. I don't understand this comment and was hoping that some of you can enlighten me. Why can't the team simply refuse to sell the player? What makes it difficult for teams to maintain certain players?

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

It's basically evolved Contract law and pretty much the same for all professional sport, since the reserve clause was struck down.
    And a lot of it started with a baseball player, Curt Flood sacrificing his career for it.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserve_clause
    and
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_agent
    which describes provisions of the Bosman and webster rulings:
    Essentially it means that 'Indentured Servitude' is no longer permitted in sport.

3. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

I can understand at the end of a player's contract, but it doesn't make sense to me when talking about the January transfer window. I'm pretty sure that no contracts end in January. Maybe they're referring to a player whose contract is up at the end of the season, in which case it would be better for the team to sell the player than risk losing the player and getting nothing in return.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Because other teams can come in and offer a bid for the player and if the player is even remotely interested in moving on it's probably best to let him go. No sense in keeping a player that has no interest in playing for your club.