Track & Field

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by IanHux, May 18, 2008.

1. IanHux

IanHux New Member

This last friday were the district championships for track and field. I had qualified for districts by placing 6th in sub-districts with a jump of 19'. Friday was a lot worse........... (ok maybe it just felt worse) I scratched my first 2 jumps horribly and snuck into finals with a jump of 18'5". I got really lucky to get there. My first jump in finals was my worst jump of the year...... I didn't even know what I got and I don't want to know. Then on my best jump of the day which probably would've been over 19' I scratched by fractions of an inch. My last jump wasn't my best but it was good enough to land me 9th in the conference with multiple 20' and over jumpers (I jumped 18'10"). My personal best for the year was 19'7" and had I jumped that I would've probably came within 3 places of state......... All in all I can't be disappointed with my freshman year although my coach would've bought me a steak if I jumped 20'. I can't wait till next spring!

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

keep on keepin' on, ianhux!

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I dont know how you jump that far! Great job. Are you in high school or college (districts makes it sound like HS). I love track and field and wish it wasnt relegated to obscure cable channels. When I was a kid I could watch it on the Wild World of Sports regularly (or at least that's how I remember it). Good luch next year!

4. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Hi Ian,

Great to hear from another jumper. I spent most of highschool and all of college jumping (I competed in division 1 for the high, long and triple) although in highschool I only loved high jump and did the rest for the points for the team. Then in college I was told and taught to do all three and did well in them all. After I graduated in 2001 I kept training and wanted to compete independently although the job got in the way!

Congrats on the long jump distances thus far. Not bad at all!!

5. BarryP

BarryP New Member

RE: Re: Track & Field

Congratulations Ian!

6. americanmike

Are you doing indoor (winter) track? Or is it no available near you?

7. PaydayC4

PaydayC4 New Member

Keep on jumping...you'll continue to get better. I understand how hard track & field is. I'm the cross country/distance coach at my high school. It's some grueling stuff...T&F moreso than XC.

8. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Thanks to all of you! Yes it is high school and outdoor track. I live in a town of about 6,000 people so there isn't an indoor option. The athletic conference we're in is probably (IMHO) the toughest one in the state for sprinters and runners at least. There are about 6 jumpers that jump over 20' and a triple jumper that jumps 45'. There are also about six 6' high jumpers in the league. Its amazing how many people are ranked in the nation and state that come from our league. Its crazy.

Its nice to see another jumper on here! I'm quite giddy actually. I long jump and high jump. High jump is my biggest track analogy to Fulham. I have the potential to do quite well but when it comes to crunch time I sometimes don't get the job done. I've jumped 5'10" in practice but my best in meet is 5'4". Like I said though I'm giddy Mike was a collegiate jumper. Thats amazing

9. americanmike

My PB's are:

Long: 23' 7
    High: 6' 8"
    Triple 47' 8"

It was my favorite sport to do in my life, even more than Soccer/football. I would definitely tell you to keep it up and FORM IS EVERYTHING.

10. Clevelandmo

Wow Mike!

11. americanmike

White men can jump!

12. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Good Job, IAN!!!!

Mike;
    I want to know your standing vertical leap stat.. and if it's as good as your distance and flop, then why arent you known as Mike McHead?

heh...

13. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Amen! Well now it looks like I have some goals to look forward to in the coming years! :wink:

14. americanmike

Standing vertical leap has been officially recorded at 36" but I know I can/have broken 40"...unofficially of course.

I was born with the ability to jump high and basically made a career of it...just ask Smokin'!

15. Clevelandmo

You have to be fast too, dont you, to jump that far?

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and The Godfather can play fitba, too, Mo. A while back we were periodically treated to clips from the Fulham Supporters Club matches -- one of which included a "natural hat trick" [right foot/left foot/header] from our boy. So, yeah, speed, leap, athleticism ... I think I hate him! :big grin: