Time to End

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jan 3, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

If Universe started with Big Bang, it ends with Big Whimper.

If you can read through that article, what the writers are trying to say - I think - is that the expansion of our universe is slowing. And since time, as we know it, is tied by quantum physics to expansion of 'our universe', it will eventually slow and stop.

I have no problem accepting quantum physics, even to being able to 'cross time' through traveling across a curved space.

But even though I cant even remember simple math formula to find the area of a circle from its circumference, and I havent stayed in a Holiday Inn Express lately, {how great IS that ad!} I call BS!

What about gravity? And if gravity doesnt end, then time flows backwards, right? And, if time flows backward, then dont all those nova stars 'unexplode'? Sure they do!

Of course SOME of these guys say our universe was about the size of an atom when the big bang happened.

Heh!

SOMEONE's atom, maybe.. in SOME OTHER UNIVERSE!

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Your attention is invited to Kurt Vonnegut's long-neglected masterpiece, Galapagos, for a little bit o' devolution.

Whip it; whip it good. :banana:

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Sorry... KV NEVER WROTE a masterpiece, except in his own mind, maybe.

Good read, yes.. masterpiece, hell no!

Added: I had THOUGHT I read it but wasnt sure. Just looked it up on Amazon... I DID read it.. or tried to...Game set MAtch. Above Point proven, if he ever DId write a masterpiece, that wasnt it.

HOWEVER

What would it mean if time went backwards?

My thinking.. we wouldnt know it from our viewpoint. Everything would orbit the opposite, We'd have prevailing easterlies. The earth progression would reverse but how would we know? except there would be a myth that we suddenly 'just appeared' {because the sun 'unblewup'} in a very technical advanced state.. we were 'from another planet'???/

Civilization and knowledge might decay but it wouldnt necessarily be in lockstep as mirror of the advance.