The World According to Joel and Ethan

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Apr 27, 2009.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

HAving JUST responded to Steve's Movie Quotes thread, it occurred to me that some astute academic could rake in a lot of interest by analysing Coen Brothers' characters and plot devices.

The reason their movies are so enjoyable is that they have a crazily intuitive grasp of human nature.
    Too bad they, and their acting troup, dont seem to recognize those foibles in their personal politics.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Since you've created a new thread, why don't you delete the last sentence? We know your political proclivities; they don't have to intrude into everything.

Having said that. From the world's greatest movie about bowling:

"It pulled the room together."
    "I'm just going to go and look for an ATM."
    "He's a nihilist" -- "Must be exhausting work."

3. pettyfog

Lemme make this perfectly clear. I moved my commentary on Joel and Ethan to avoid making it on the movie quote thread where it didnt belong.. because it had political comment.

I divorce my enjoyment of Clooney movies, for instance, from his political views. If I liked Madonna's music, her politics would not affect that.

I loved Janeanne G's standup and tv/movie roles.. ditto Rosie in 'stakeout 2' and 'League of their own' .. she should have been cast in more movies.

Now here's the point. If you're tired of my political talk, tough shit. Justr dont come in with stupid comments like "I doubt Alinsky and Obama traded notes." maybe the others dont see how dumb that is, but I sure's hell do. Just like Marx and Mao didnt trade notes.
    -so-
    You're gonna REALLY hate it when I start in on Religion.

Jesus is being hijacked on all sides. People need to know that, especially when you read that some Commie says Jesus would have supported Lenin.
    You know.. as in 'Jesus was a Community Organizer'!!

Yep... I think you aint gonna like what I have to say a whole lot. But neither will Papists, Young Earth Creationists and those who claim other silly things based on verse lifted out of context.
    Or.... some of that you might like a little. Depends!

Here's a shocker to think about:
    Why did God destroy Sodom and Gomorrah? Was it because they were gay?
    My opinion: No. In fact they could just as well have been hetero...the definitive texts dont even say it was 'Because God hates Gays', it DOES note what those sins were. And there's a warning in it for our time.

Now... if you dont like what I post, then negate it or debate. But it sure would be nice to know what your politics really are. The fact you voted for McCain really doesnt say a lot because recent events and statements by John McCain, and his idiot offspring Meghan, tell me the right guy got elected under the circumstances. I just have to bite my lip.. or cheek about our National Security issues, but it's evident as hell that we needed a solid Dem political system in place, to fail as it surely will, to again show differentiation and get our nation back on track.

Because all things of man are flawed. Some, even most, are silly and some are frightening, but few portend at the outset to be 'pure evil'.

That's what I was referring to in the statement about the Coen's. I'm sure they could slip in a scene in which some future President's staff thinks it's a good idea to send a fighter and one of the presidential planes over NYC so they could be used as a photo op.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

it would have been a lot quicker and easier to delete the sentence.

Have fun talking to yourself.

5. pettyfog

Well, then... just call it venting.

Oh.. and sweet irony. Just as I wrote that, 'Mars Attacks' comes on TBS. ANOTHER crazily accurate parody of human nature.

There ARE no coincidences.
    :banana: :banana:

BY the way... it's called 'Anything Goes'!