The U.S. fan's bill of Responsibilities

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by sublicon, Jul 22, 2008.

1. sublicon

sublicon New Member

2. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Hey! I have been to two RBNY matches this season and have tickets to three more (bought a 4-game package + the Barca friendly).

3. sublicon

sublicon New Member

what the hell, why do you not inform me of these things? we gotta get our tailgate on, son!!

4. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

RE: Re: The U.S. fan

Sounds great. I will be at (as I said) the Barca match, plus the DC United and Houston matches. My buddy Mike (usually with me at Nevadas) will also be at the Houston match and both Mike & Josh will be at the Barca match.

Send me a PM at some point and we'll figure out details.

5. sublicon

sublicon New Member

Re: RE: Re: The U.S. fan

I chastised Josh for not deeming the Red Bulls good enough to attend an actual league game. He disappoints me.

6. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Stop bustin' balls.

7. jmh

jmh New Member

:shock:

You offered me tickets an hour before I would've had to leave for the stadium, on a night I already had other plans!

I'll go to any of the home games in September or October. The summer, unfortunately, has been insanely busy, but pick one of those four and I'm there.

8. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: The U.S. fan

Nevtzer, you and I (and any others in the Bay Area) need to make similar plans for San J(K)ose' for Summer of 2009.

See you then!

Note: Did make it to a www.panamacitypirates.com match a week and a half ago, though.

9. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: The U.S. fan

I'm all for it, and I'm sure Misfitkid and Meggrs would be willing to jump onboard as well. My old dive bar, The Hut, is next to Buck Shaw and it should provide a proper pre-game setting.

Funny timing for this thread, because I'm actually attending my first 'Quakes match since they returned to SJ this Sunday against the not-so-mighty Red Bulls of New York.

Bring on the smack-talk NYC! Because you know full well that you'll get nothing and like it at Buck Shaw.

10. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Good thing I'm not a sublicon New York Guy™, as I'm in New Jersey.

I'm totally following #1. I'm not just a season ticket holder, I'm also a member of a supporter's group for the Red Bulls. But I'm not going to do much else on that list. I don't let Greg Lalas tell me how to be a fan any more I look to Jimmy Bullard for tips on how to look sexy.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Ouch! :lol:

12. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

That may be one of the funniest lines I have heard in awhile.

13. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I do all of them, except I do # 10 poorly.

As a strong suggestion, but not a full-fledged responsibility, I would like to add coaching a youth soccer team for those of you who are confident in your soccer knowledge and ability. You dont have to have kids to do it. I know several guys who coach and dont have kids; they love it! There is still a shortage of good soccer coaches in this country.

14. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

RE: Re: The U.S. fan

Oi! Mo is so, so, so right. Eevery volunteer Manager that we have loves it, never realized how much they would love it, and asks to be included going forward.

Get out there and change some lives for the better, EVERYONE. And if you can't get out and train these kids, being a Sponsor of your local soccer club or providing a donation are great ways to show your investment and committment.

Speaking of which.........I couldn't be prouder than to have a FulhamUSA Banner out at the US98 Soccer Fields, or any others related to the members on this site.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I endorse Mo's comment. There are no HatterKids, but I coached AYSO soccer in the '70s and '80s, and I formed a league in the late '70s that involved me doing coaching AND refereeing clinics, making the schedules, and posting the results -- Man, I could have used a laptop in those days.

There is an incredible reward in helping kids have fun. If you still have the wheels and the time, go for it. Just watch out for all the cakes and pies soccermoms bake for you. It was tough keeping my death-from-above body from bulging my fatigues.

16. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

A bloated HatterDon in fatigues and tie-dye, chasing kids chasing soccer balls. David Crosby has nothing on you, man.

17. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

There's a mental image that makes me want to wash my eyes out with steel wool and Comet.

18. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I ALWAYS point out #9 to people on boards and my friends who slam me for saying "soccer". Tools.

19. RDG

RDG Member

Sorry I've not gotten to respond to this earlier, but I shall try my best (as some of the original message seems to have been a dig at me!)

As to "Eurosnobism", I plead nolo contendere, and will probably re-visit this at a later date.

As to supporting your "local" teams, I respectfully submit that my "local" MLS team had no desire at all for me. I never saw the Arrows play at Randall's Island (before my time?), and was unable to see the Cosmos. I have been to the Meadowlands exactly once via mass transit, and it was a nightmare getting back. As the second season of the Metrostars began, I called for a schedule, and had one faxed to me at work ("fax" predates emailing an attachment, just for those too young to know). I only got it by sifting through our fax department, even though I'd told them to put my name on it. Ugh. Then, (perhaps this is no longer the practice, but it was at the time) one had to have a ticket for the game, before being allowed on the bus. All this sort of silliness just turned me off. The new Red Bulls stadium should be a ton easier for me to get to, so I may get off my Eurosnobbish derriere and see a match or two. Oh, and my luck with the WUSA was horrid: as soon as I thought I really should attend a match or two and figured out how to get to see them, the league folded. Such is my luck.

20. sublicon

sublicon New Member

RE: The U.S. Fan

Rudy lives!!! Dude, I'm getting you to a game . . we'll talk next week, I'll pick out a few good games and you choose one.