The Rams are Baacckk.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, Jan 13, 2016.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

21 years ago I was a kid out of college and living in Orange County w/my brother. We had Rams season tickets for the last 4 seasons they were in Anaheim (the price of a season ticket? $300, and I remember being pissed off that they charged the full $30 for the 2 preseason games). The Rams were my NFC team (Seattle played in the AFC West in those days). John Shaw (the snake) and Georgia Frontierre (the husband killer) alienated the LA Coliseum Rams fans, and intentionally deconstructed the team so they could steal millions from the city of St.Louis.

Fast forward and I feel sorry for the fans in St. Louis. Other than the shooting star Kurt Warner years the Lambs were consistent losers. The state/city leadership put together a viable new stadium project and Stan Kroencke didn't negotiate in good faith. He had his mind made up for years to move and it was a done deal the moment he bought the land that the housed the old horse track Hollywood Park.

What will the price of a season ticket when the Rams eventually move into the NFL 'Disneyland' entertainment complex in Inglewood? Personal Seat Licenses will start at $2500-3000 (that's a one time fee for the right to buy a ticket) and a seat in the nosebleeds will start at $1500-2000 for the season (they'll be cheaper for the first few seasons back at the Coliseum).

2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Congratulations. They never should have left to begin with.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Saw your title and figured they've moved to Cleveland.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  4. SoCalJoe

If Chargers fall in line and make the move up north also, can you say San Antonio Raiders?? :eek:

5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Oakland has not, and most likely cannot, do anything to entice the Raiders to stay. No plans in place and the money is not there to help with anything. The Coliseum is way below par for a professional stadium at this point, be it baseball or football. Further, Southern California was pretty much eliminated this past week for the Raiders with the Rams move and a Chargers' option to move w/in a year and San Antonio is all the buzz around here as far as legitimate locations for relocation. Unless an ownership group swoops in to buy out Mark Davis in order to keep them in the bay area (cough, Larry Ellison), the franchise will be moving.

Well, those San Antonio Spurs are already silver and black...(and this is from a Raiders supporter).

SoCalJoe likes this.
  6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I still don't believe it. Jerry Jones makes millions out of SA Cowboy fans. I can't see him allowing that money to stay in the city.

Two points: (1) it's a shame that the NFL's most passionate fans will see their team stolen for the second time; (2) San Antonio doesn't have the stadium sufficient for an NFL franchise [the AlamoDome doesn't have enough luxury boxes]. We've danced to this tune before from the Raiders, the Saints, and from Mr. Khan's team. We exist as an accessory to blackmail.

Oh, and I REALLY don't want an NFL franchise in my city.

7. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

We're the 3 a.m. booty call of pro sports. I'll believe it when I see it.

Don, the rumor is that Davis owns land between Austin & SA (around San Marcos, I believe) & that the Alamodome would only be a temporary home until a new stadium is built. If that stadium is meant to be financed with taxpayer money, then I agree, no thanks.

8. SoCalJoe

The Raiders as Nev stated cannot stay in Oakland. The NFL offer to chip in $100 mill for a stadium in Oaktown is merely a drop in the bucket since new stadiums costs start at a billion. It will all depend on what the Chargers do, if they stay in San Diego the Raiders will be here simple as that. If the Charger do come north the Raiders will move somewhere.

Saying LA Rams is still very natural sounding. The Rams were playing here 10 years BEFORE the Dodgers, and 12 before the Lakers. It's the franchise of Crazy Legs Hirsch, The Fearsome Foursome, Roman Gabriel, and Jack Snow. While I can't imagine saying the San Antonio Raiders, it's a real possibility. Is there two franchises that are polar opposites than the Raiders & Spurs in terms of culture?

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

This is could to be interesting. Which type of top-tier, pro football will arrive sooner in San Antonio, pointy or round?

I know which one Hatter is rooting for.

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Lol...
    I note that had no response. Well, I got it, immediately. But then I'm really old and was well read on the history of the NFL.
    - Bottom line is "The Browns" - TWICE- are and always have been a 'Replacement Team' for another that fled.
    Tie in the incestual background machinations of Rams and Colts and the outrage of Arizona being allowed to retain 'Cardinals' after their move and you got a lot of hot stove jaw fodder.

If the NFL allows -again- two teams in the LA Metro area we will know they are truly idiots.

HatterDon likes this.
  11. SoCalJoe

Fog, 2 teams are coming and I agree with you, 1 team should be the limit. Here is the major problem facing the Chargers brass...there a very FEW Charger fans here. In the 20 years since the NFL left the amount of fans of every team has gone up (you see gear for practically every team in the league, Sorry Mr. Khan I have never seen a Jags jersey), so while San Diego is close, the majority of LA metro people that go down there for a game go to see the visiting team. The Raiders & Broncos have huge fan bases here and they HATE the Chargers, and won't be switching over.

The Chargers were dying to move to Carson with the Raiders because they knew there were tons of corporations and people with discretionary income that would never go to a Raiders game, now all that business will go to the Rams. Honestly, unless they come north and win big right away it will take a long time and some creative marketing to build the kind of fan base that could support them consistently.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

glad you liked the "old guy salute," and I agree with you completely about the two teams in the LA area. But who the hell listens to us? :D