The Pope Draws a Line

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Mar 31, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Recent news reports on Rome having negotiated with the Saud's for churches in Saudi Arabia.. then it immediately falling through, coupled with renewed 'outrage' over republishing the 'Cartoons' and now the viral film short 'Fitna', bringing death threats to any web site containing it, seem to fly in the face of reason.

Then we hear that, over Easter, Pope Benedict baptized a former apologist for Islamists, Magdi Cristiano Allam.

Now it begins to come together. No more will the churches have to hide behind the efforts of atheists and Islamic apostates to defend themselves against religious subjugation by force, submersion, or threat of harm. Benedict has stepped up and made a statement on reasoned resistance, imperfect as its provenance is.. given the Roman Church has been guilty of the same sins as the Islamists in its checkered past.

Here's a good position article on the issue:
    The mustard seed in global strategy

The rest of the article points out the unique role the Roman Church can play in this struggle for hearts and minds... and that is offering a reconciliation, by alternative, between what Islamic and Arab leaders tell the western public and what they tell their own from the pulpit. It's not a perfect answer by any means but it's a start.

It's provocative and, if predictive as it seems, will end up with Benedict having been issued one or many fatwas for his death.. but that is easy to foretell, in any case. Magdi Allam has been living under that for years. The author makes no case for namby-pamby martyrdom.. or religious humanism, either.

It's interesting to think what might happen if a mildly prominent muslim author approached the Archbishop of Canterbury asking to be baptized.

Or the head of the UC of C, for that matter.

2. Lyle

Lyle New Member

... and like the Protestants of bygone. You people pogromed so many Catholics, Jews, and other Protestants it ain't even funny. Martin Luther my at as well have been Mohammed.

3. pettyfog

RE: Re: The Pope Draws a Line

Gimme a break! Do I have to put in a rant on 'Calvinism', or point out Luther's well known shortcomings, every time I post something negative on Rome?
    I dont seem to recall, however, all that many Protestant 'Convert or Be Killed' scenarios. There were cases, to be sure.

I actually, by the quote you picked, point out that the church has CORRECTED itself. Or do you dispute the fact itself?

Did you get the POINT of that post? It was that Benedict is DOING THE RIGHT THING!

4. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Yes. If you're going to compare the Catholic Church of the past to Islamism of today, you should at least mention that your religous forefathers were just as crazy and bloodthirsty.

Salem Witch Trials baby!!! Are you a witch? ARE YOU A WITCH!!??

5. pettyfog

Hey.. chill out. You ought'a know I'm an equal opportunity offender. But I know summat... "Organizations made of men" and all that.

Which would bring us to Peter and Papal Authority*. As well as to the Church of Englands provenance and why its theology is so shallow. As well as to my favorite CURRENT target: UCofC, the former Congregational Church.

Bill Donohue would probably argue with me just as you do, but I wouldnt back down THERE either.
    OTOH: I'll jump over to Donohue's side on the Hagee McCain endorsement issue {as well as defending Pius on his actions during WWII}. Sort of tenuous.. because Father Coughlin might be brought up. No Bishop Sheen, that guy! Sheen was probably the only catholic leader regularly quoted in Protestant Services as was Billy Graham. Who makes the point: even Billy grew in his knowledge and understanding, as opposed to being bound by some committee derived doctrine.

* "Upon this rock, I build my church!"... proving Jesus had a real sense of ironic humor. But I would point out that applies to ALL his church.. he didnt say "I appoint you Pope". Thus it applies to every christian.

Get my meaning? For those of you not aware, when Jesus said that, he shamed Peter as well as foretold how imperfectly the church would carry his word.

6. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I'm just messing with you man.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

no need to Lyle; the man messes with himself plenty for all of us.

8. pettyfog

Yeah... sorry lyle.

Thought I was arguing with Don. And you fooled me into writing what I think.
    :roll: