The Old Firm in the Prem

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by DUGOUT, Mar 8, 2008.

1. DUGOUT

DUGOUT New Member

There has been some resurfacing hoopla about the Old Firm (Rangers/Celtic) joining the Barclays Premier League. I for one would like to see this happen in the future. I think it would invite more "tasty" matches and generate massive interest globally. I know FIFA and the FA will probably never allow this to happen for political reasons, but it would be sweet.

2. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

I think it would be fun to see just for a season or two, but it'll never happen.

3. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

This move would reduce the Scottish leagues to the level of the Welsh and Northern Ireland leagues. It would also turn Rangers and Celtic into mid-table minnows. No way the Old Firm would sit and watch Hearts or Hibs getting into Europe while they have to wait until April to be sure they're not going to be relegated.

5. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

No surprise, I would argue otherwise about them being mid-table minnows. Not as sure about Rankers, but Celtic have a marketing reach and public relations machine on the level of ManU. I think you'd find a Top 5 existing in the Prem, instead of Top 4.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

First year, it'd really be a muckup..no matter.
    But long term it WOULD be better for the smaller teams in the SPL. Except I think you might find Rangers get cold feet if offered and Celtic go for it.

7. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

If Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham, etc. can play in England, why not? That said, where would they start? Would they get to jump directly into the Premier Leauge? I don't think thats really fair. Maybe put them in a playoff with the 21st and 22nd place finishers of League Two.

8. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

If Rangers and Celtic moved to the EPL, they would never see Champions League football again and would rarely, if ever, see ANY European football.

Not to mention the fact that the SPL takes a Winter break for a really, really good reason. Would YOU want to play in Glasgow in early January?

9. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

10. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Bern isn't that much further north than Milan, either, but the weather isn't the same. Glasgow averages 2 more inches of precip per month in Dec and Jan than Newcastle.

11. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

They may not have to pave Paradise, just put a retractable roof on it.

12. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

...or their supporters can have another shot of scotch...and another, then ask Buffalo Bills fans for tips on how to endure cold-ass matches. Probably cheaper than a roof, eh?

And I wouldn't readily dismiss Celtic's chances of challenging for CL places almost immediately. Big club, big stadium and being in the prem would be a cash cow for them, plus they would attract higher class players

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

oh, and there's been an English team in Scottish football for ages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berwick_Rangers_F.C.

It's not a question of whether it would be legal, just stupid for both the Scottish football league and for Rangers and Celtic.

14. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I think many underestimate the attractiveness to many of CELTIC. They are literally shackled to the Scottish League, not the other way around. They are one of the few clubs in all of football that operate in the black and have a history as rich as any English club.

Again, the Prem would have to get used to the idea of a Big 5 if CELTIC join. Or, one of the Big 4 would be BIG no more (Arsenal or Chelsea being obvious choices to lose some of their glimmer). CELTIC would see Europe again sooner than many of the uneducated think.

15. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8006934.stm

If they're going to tie the inclusion of Celtic and Rangers to Phil Gartside's 2-tier Premier League, I can't see this going anywhere. Not that I really saw it going anywhere as it was.

For those who haven't followed it, basically Gartside is proposing 2 Premier Leagues comprised of 18 teams each that would take a winter break, add the Old Firm, and possibly do away with relegation from the 2nd Premier League. So basically the top 36 teams would be cemented into one of two leagues (with promotion back and forth) and the rest of the Football League would be shut out.

I don't see how you could do this and not instantly make the 2nd Prem irrelevant. They can't even broadcast all 20 teams currently in the Prem so to me, this would basically make EPL2 (or whatever they want to call it) the Cola League.

16. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Lets just have an EPL-4. Where only four teams play for the title each year.

Oh, wait...

17. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Whitesbhoy. Methinks you have rose colored glasses on. The fact is, the owners of Celtic don't have the capital to compete against the Big Four plus ManCity. And, while you may think "big club, chance to play in Europe" will do a lot, you also have to keep in mind that they are based in Glasgow, not exactly a "hip" European metropolis for players to move to.

Sorry, but moving to the EPL would, long term, be a bad move for Celtic and they wouldn't see the Champions League again.

18. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Actually, they are probably more clover colored glasses in this case.

Andy, your entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it may be.

19. BarryP

BarryP New Member

That was funny.