The new Fulham MB problems explained...

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by pettyfog, Sep 7, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Having run through all the same difficulties with the new board as everyone else, What strikes me as odd is the problems seemingly not getting solved at any great rate... especially those Firefox specific glitches.

I tried looking at the page source to see what I could find...

Here is the mfr of the software used:

http://www.contensis.net/

Note it is described as 'Content Management' software... or what used to be known as 'Portal' software just a few years ago...

What it does is allow non-tech but computer savvy folks to manage and 'design' web pages using WYSIWYG... under various permissions allowed by the IT geeks.

Each application or 'feature' is installed and works as a 'module'... and forums is just one of those modules.

Since the forum needs of a private or government concern is somewhat less active and robust than Software written specifically to run a forum {such as our is} it naturally will have some bugs not seen in the more commonly used forum applications.

What we're seeing now, on the new 'offal', are primarily formatting and data query bugs.

For example if you go into your profile using Firefox and try to edit or enter, you wont find the 'Submit' button... unless you notice you have a Horizontal slider at the bottom of the page.

Why is that.. and why isnt there a format bar using Firefox?

Because most corps use IE and it never came up... at least in the Contensis 'forums' module.

As to losing posts, I suspect we're seeing query timeouts with the database server... that means the Application {page image} server isnt allowing enough time for the database server to respond and falls back to a default view.

We cannot know why the develpers are taking so long, and are so silent... but that is LIKELY because there arent any 'code geeks' available at the moment. Those working on the "Fulham" site, likely are the CONTENT GEEKS.. a whole different level.
    Sorta like almost all you guys know how to use various Word or Excel features... but cant write an ODBC query, to save yer ass!

And No...I cant tell you how to fix it...I was a project leader/manager, integrator, and beta tester, thus I COULD sometimes find the problem... but usually couldnt fix the codes.

2. Jux

Jux New Member

Oh yea?! Wait till you see what I can...yup, you're right, never heard of an ODBC query :D

Actually, thanks for the explaination. I've had a few problems with the board, so I will try using IE instead of Firefox for future visits.

3. pettyfog

RE: Re: The new Fulham MB problems explained...

Heh.. well... SQL through an object database connection. Dont be picky.

4. pettyfog

As posted on the offal:
    Heh... it just occurred to me* that the reason we have missing posts, yet never see a server error message is that Contensis supplied FFC the DEMO version of the forum module.

This is software used when demonstrating a product to potential customer as it avoids embarrasing system error messages due to lack of resources in laptop or slow respose times due to bandwidth. What they do, on error, is simply return a previous handy screen.

* No, I aint perfect, I dont think of everything at once... I just KEEP thinking about it.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I am so comforted that there are hundreds of you out there who have a clue what P-fog is talking about. I'm still in the "gee, when I push this button, that there light goes on" stage of technology.

Your friend,

Ned Ludd

6. pettyfog

er... think Concept car in a car show... or 'prototype'... Or Perpetual Motion machine with hidden hamster cage.

Does that help?
    ;)