The mistreatment of Steed

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Jul 11, 2006.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Now here is something we can all debate about.

As we all know, Steed Malbranque has not signed a new contract with Fulham and has stated he wants to leave for free next summer. A couple of clubs have come in for him but still no deal, most likely because Steed doesn't like the options or the money.

What does Coleman do about all of this?!

While our first team is in Devon for our training camp, Steed is sent with the reserves to Austria. It seems Chris Colemans policy at Fulham is "my way or the highway".

I'm not really sure what to think of this. Is this how we should treat a loyal servant of the club even if he does want to leave?

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I think Coleman has done the right thing. If Malbranque is not going to be a part of this club for the future, I do not see why he should figure in the plans this season at all.

He has clearly stated he wants to leave and does not want to sign a new contract. As I said in my article yesterday, I want players on the pitch who bleed the black and white of Fulham and who care about the club, not about moving to another club and getting rich quick. Steed was given a lucrative opportunity to stay at Fulham and he turned it down.

The other reason I have no problem with what Coleman is doing is that the world of football has become such a me first environment. All too often we hear of players demanding to leave clubs and teams. Ronaldo demands to leave Manchester United, Stilian Petrov demands to leave Celtic and Pascal Chimbonda demanding to leave Wigan are just a few being talked about right now. I am happy to see Coleman and the club making a stand and showing Steed they will not be bossed around by his contract fiasco and eventual move.

If he wants to move, take whatever money you can get and let him go. I would just assume get rid of him ASAP as this problem is going to linger for a while and potentially cause problems in the dressing room.

It is my belief that Steed or perhaps his agent have dug their own graves here. Fulham did nothing but offer a very nice contract Steed. If he does not like it, find a club to go to or rot in the Reserves.

3. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I think this is part of the maturation of a sport...

Seriously, free agency, or that type of contract structure has always led to this type of behavior. Its the trade off, its the deterioration of the love for the sport and the team.

The EPL is international. Its much more of melting pot than the MLB or NBA will ever be. There are so many players who grew up with heros and teams they follwed and loved... differently there, these townships manifest teams from playgrounds, get organized, and compete... how fun would it be for me to play on the MASTIC HOODLUMS or something in my prime years as a soccer player (something kind of like LEBRON JAMES is doing, to not only gain support of my kinsmen, but to make money for my area by winning. You can blame him for wanting to go home.

I'm not sure how much anyone should get on STEED. If he wants to move on and make money and we dont sign him now, I suppose we should let him play and continue to prove what great player he can be. Kinda like a free agent year in baseball when mediocre players become above average players and stars have career years.

If we can move him and get money before the window closes, so be it...

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: The mistreatment of Steed

Yeah, but try telling that to the Kansas City Royals, Milwaukee Brewers and all the small market teams who have free agents in the upcoming offseason. These teams will be trying unload these guys to get something in return. And Fulham should be trying to get something in return for Steed.

Why showcase a player you know is not coming back?

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Re: RE: The mistreatment of Steed

Yep, as Tom points out, Steed would be a distraction. Plus how do you put somene in practice and run plays with him knowing he could take off at a moments notice.

Perhaps Newcastle has plans to end the frustration.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5 ... 62&ATT=177

6. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I think your right Tom... I just think with the money he wants he's gonna have to prove his worth.

At this point I blame FFC for not taking care of this last season, before the window closed they could have gotten alot for him and made this scenario somone elses problem. Its in the businesses best interest to take care of such contract issues before they become ISSUES.

Its sad, it really is, he wants more than he's worth, maybe thats just a tactic to stave off the lower markets.

Bottom line is this... he's supposed to get paid to play... so if they are paying him they might as well play him. If taking off a few plays at a moments notice is a problem for CC. Then Zat Knightmare and CJ would have been on the youth squad long ago.

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I can't blame Fulham for this as they did not know last January that Steed would not sign the new extension. It has dragged on in large part because the World Cup was taking place and now with just over a month before the season starts nothing is resolved.

I give Fulham credit for giving him the chance to sign an extension. It is not they left him in the cold. They gave him a chance and he wanted to test the market to see what he was worth. He clearly stated he would not sign with Fulham after his current contract was up.

The debatable point is whether it is in Fulham's best interest t showcase Steed to try and get some money from another club. Do they let him rot in the reserves or play him in hopes a suitor comes along that meets the valuation Fulham has made on Malbranque?

As I stated before, I think Fulham has made the right move here. As the season gets closer and more importantly, the transfer window gets closer to shutting, you might see a club or two willing to spend the money to purchase Steed that is willing to give him the weekly wages he is looking for.

I would love to see this saga end soon, but my gut feeling is that this will linger on until the last week of August when a team has a bad start and sees Malbranque not playing and they will make a desperate signing of him in hopes of jump starting that team's season. We will see.

I just hope this matter is resolved one way or another in the near future. It is getting old.

8. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I just think it was bad posturing from both ends...

Colemen is obviously not a transfer wizard. I think this latest act is bad posturing by Colemen. You just cant blame Steed here. It his wish, and he's nice enough to be up front.

Does this happen often with transfer situations like this?

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I think Steed is a victim of unfortunate timing and bad agent advice.

He should have signed a years extension with a 'get out' money bid clause.

His salary is the result of individual contract based on relative team value but it has also priced him too high on the wage side, if he wants a fair shake at the bigger teams so as to show what he can do with better mates on the pitch.

10. martin

martin New Member

If he wanted to do it right, Steed should have followed Van Der Saar's example. Edwin wanted to move to a bigger club, but he re-signed with FFC anyway so they would get a transfer fee. Everybody wins. I was disappointed that VDS wanted to leave, but at least he didn't screw the club in the process.

One of the articles I read stated that part of the delay was due to Steed's indecisiveness. Maybe the reserve squad demotion was Cookie's was of saying, "Make up your mind already!"

11. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Re: RE: The mistreatment of Steed

I never really thought about it like this, but you do make a good point Smokin'. The only thing I can say is that it is common practice in the world of European football to try and resign a player or decide the player's future 12-18 months before his contract is to end. Fulham did that.

It was nice of Steed to be up front, but I do not think he had much of a choice. Had he been indecisive with Fulham, they probably would still try to sell him because the club needs to the money.

12. Tony_USA

Tony_USA New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: The mistreatment of Steed

I like Steed, I admire him for his skills and tenacity, but, and this will come as no surprise to those that know me, as far as I'm concerned, Steed can dwell in the reserves and see what team will accept his wage demands when he becomes a free agent.

Chris is right in his attitude, that if a player states he wants out, and then tries a little bit of blackmail of the 'free agent' type, to get what he wants, then he is thinking nothing of the club or the fans, and so why should they think anything of him.

Aur Revoir Steed, nice knowing yer mate, well for most of the time anyway!

13. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member