The last shovel of Olympic dirt

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by BarryWhite, Feb 12, 2013.

1. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

The Olympics in its purest form died for me some time ago but the last shovel full of dirt was tossed on the grave with the decision to discard wrestling as a core sport.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

As many of you know, I don't care a hair about The Olympics, but wrestling is not only an event that was part of the "modern Olympics," it was part of the original Olympics. There are several other events that should have bit the dust before wrestling.

This is an especially difficult blow for nations like Bulgaria, Turkey, and Iran.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I can't say I've ever watched more than one or two Olympic wrestling matches, but this is a ridiculous decision. As stated above, it's one of the OG sports. Give me an event where winning the Gold medal is the pinnacle of said sport. I've been playing golf for my entire life and even I think it doesn't belong in the Olympics. Yes Tiger Woods and Rory McElroy move the TV needle, but what would a Gold medal mean to them?? They would by lying if they said it was even near the top of their most important accomplishments. Same goes for tennis. Finally, what is this other event that wrestling lost out to? The Modern Pentathlon?? Wikied it and it consists of; pistol shooting, fencing, swimming, show jumping (insert joke, but on a horse), and a cross country run (without the horse)....WTF??? :angry-banghead: Exactly how much acid did the committee do to come up with this event?

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Wow that is really shocking. Seems they truly have abandoned all thoughts of retaining the integrity of the olympics. Professionals that make millions in sports that already have their signature competitions just simply dont belong. I think there is a chance the IOC will be put under too much pressure to keep wrestling though, and reverse the decision. Arguably the greatest Olympian of all time was a wrestler.

Joe I think the answer to your question regarding wrestling or the modern pentathlon is that the USA is dominant in wrestling but not the pentathalon.