The girlfriend's birthday

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by andyns, Sep 15, 2008.

1. andyns

andyns New Member

Most of you are older and wiser than I am, so maybe someone can help, somebody must have been down this road before.

So, it's my girlfriend's birthday on the weekend. I'm not into birthdays at all, but she is and I got two problems:

A) Don't know what to get her. Her favorite things seem to be shoes and clothes, and I can't really buy those for her because that's all personal taste, innit? Gift certificates are lame and I think flowers or chocolates are just too cliche, and she hasn't dropped any hints or anything (well, none that I heard and noted), so I am at a loss here.

B) She wants to go to the clubs with her girl-friends, which is fine, but she wants me to come. Problem is, I hardly drink now, not really into dancing, never met her girl-friends before (don't really want to either) and no other guys will be there.

Normally I would just get her nothing, and make an excuse about having to go somewhere else Saturday night, but I want to be a better guy than that. I've pissed off way too many girls by being a prat like that and want to do better for her.

Suggestions for either?

2. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

RE: The girlfriend

My old favorite is to buy her good tickets to a play or concert. It gives her a chance to dress up, and if its someone you like you can tag along. If its something you don't like tell her to take one of her friends.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Over the years, I've found that the best presents are those that she's NOT expecting, and those gifts that she's not likely to get from other people. In my experience, it's not been the cost or the flashiness of the present, it's the idea of "I saw this in the store and I immediately thought about you."

Corny? Perhaps, but that's why all the women love me!

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

StLBrad has got a great suggestion (a couple of tickets in a card is a big winner).

If she is into clothes and shoes, bite the bullett and take her to lunch and then the mall. "I wanted to make sure you got an outfit you would like". The key is don't act tortured to be there (it will lead to the inevitable fight) i.e pained look on your face or checking your watch every 5 minutes. If you know you won't be able to hang go back to the ticket idea.

About the club, just be straight up and tell her that being the only guy at a girls-night out isn't your bag. However, tell her you'll go to the club late and be the designated driver. Her friends will think you're a hero (and won't talk crap about you all night 'can't believe he won't meet your friends on your b-day'), you won't have to be there long, and the brownie points w/the girlfriend will be major.