The Bradley Effect

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Oct 11, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Props to Wiki
    Why am I bringing this up?

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/ ... ews&rpc=69

perceived wisdom: If the issue is national security, Republicans poll at their highest. If the issue is the economy, Democrats poll at their highest.

Fact: when asked: "Which party is better at solving our economic problems," unnamed Democrats were polling 20-30 points higher than Republicans IN THE WEEKS BEFORE Wall Street's implosion.

And yet, when we're facing a major economic crisis, Obama is polling a whopping FOUR points higher than McCain. The Bradley effect usually demands FIVE percent.

As I've said from the moment he got the Republican nomination, get used to saying President McCain. We could do much worse. Oh, and pray for his continued good health while you're at it. :shock:

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

So this insn't about only scoring from set-pieces?

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

best line of the week! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Take tomorrow off!

4. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

A related parrallel -- In 1992 in Colorado, the state I lived in at the time, there was an initiative on the ballot that year for something called Issue 2. What it said was that homosexuals could not claim a status as a discriminated-against group. In other words, if I said to a prospective employee, No I will not hire you because you are gay/lesbian, they would have had no legal recourse to claim discrimination.

In addition to the moral and ethical pitfalls of this initiative that you can probably imagine, it also had a second contentious point if it would pass. Denver, Boulder, and Aspen all had local ordinances in their cities saying that you could not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation. So, the people of Colorado would have told these three cities that they would lose the right to local rule on the issue.

The polls showed that this issue would fail; I can't find any info on the polls on Google, but I recall that Issue 2 was not going to fail by a margin of 53% to 57%. Well, it passed. The pollsters were shown to be incorrect in their forecasting.What that means for the current election, I have no idea.

The conclusion of this story diverges from the issue at hand, but Issue 2 was never enacted into law. It was deemed to be unconstitutional by the judiciary in the state of Colorado, the Federal Appeals Court, and ultimately the Supreme court (Romer v Evans, 1996). Here is a link that has more info on Issue 2 -- http://www.ciruli.com/archives/amend2-1 ... d2-704.htm

Sadly, someone hacked into my account and removed the photo of the lovely Audrey Hepburn, but wanted to say that I (I mean he) hoped you all enjoy the action photo of Mike Ashley and his friend with the heinous tattoo and the pendulous man-boobs.