TFI Tidbits..Nike and new onwership?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ChicagoTom, Feb 20, 2007.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

In reading TFI this morning word has it next season's kits will be made by Nike. Airness has been sacked due to lack of quality and such as we all know about. Word has it that LG wanted to sponsor Fulham with the Pipex agreement up after this season.

However, late word is that American computer giant Dell is interested in not only sponsoring the kit, but also looking to buy the club as well. I am not sure who the owner of Dell is but there is talk that some initial discussions have been had about selling the club to the owner of Dell.

I do not think the club is going to be sold in the next few days, but it is something to keep your eyes open about.

2. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

The Dell thing is interesting...the wonder here is why would he want to take control of a club that really isn't going to turn a huge profit and has a stadium that is limited in its expansion. Unless, of course, he's happy with his 14b and he has a general interest in Soccer and simply wants to invest in what MAF has build upon. In fact, we are a self sufficient club...

As for Nike making our kits, now that would be a welcome change. I didn't buy any of Nike's stuff when they first got into soccer gear (mid 90's) but since then they've come a long way and make alot of quality stuff.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Fulham might be getting a Dell, dude.

Yep, I said it.

4. DCDave

DCDave Member

I have never liked Nike--I think they have too much influence over sports in a unhealthy way. (Their goal of promoting individuals over the team is not good for sports.) However, I may have to give up my boycott of their stuff if they get the Fulham contract. (Not that my boycott has caused any lost sleep in Beaverton...)

On the other hand, I would welcome a LG sponsorship. I think their logo, especially since the colors are the same as ours, would look good on a kit.

5. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Agree with Dave. LG would be a good match. Not sure if Michael Dell is a big football fan.

6. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Best news I've heard in a while. Nike would be fantastic. I passed on buying a kit this year but will nab one the minute they go on sale next year. :banana:

7. Lyle

Lyle New Member

If I was a rich American, I'd buy Fulham. Why? I like English football. Fulham is the oldest team in London. It is in London. It is in a nice part of London. Craven Cottage is the oldest stadium in London. Craven Cottage is comparable to Wrigley or Fenway in history. Fulham isn't a megateam; it is a stay afloat team. It isn't far from Heathrow. It would be an ideal team to situate American players in, because it is in London and would be easy to get back to the States for National team games. London has a high quality of life.

8. grieve01

grieve01 New Member

When I was at the Cottage in December I saw a bunch of Under Armor signs inside. What about UA. We have the stuff at my alma mater Auburn University and the stuff is awesome, any ideas about why Under Armor would have signs in the cottage without trying to grab Fulham?

9. fatback

fatback New Member

I don't think UA is about sponsoring one team. Everyone is using their stuff and I think if they were going to sponsor a club they would do something a little more high profile.

10. grieve01

grieve01 New Member

Well the way they started in the US was with Maryland, then Auburn and Texas Tech and now South Carolina. I am a huge AU fan but we are not as high profile as Southern Cal and Notre Dame. If they are buying signs in the stadiums why not sponsor the team. It doesn't make sense to not sponsor.

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Unless of course they want as many clubs as possible to use their gear. Sponsor one team, lose at least one other.

I just hope Nike can come up witha unique kit, as Fulham has always stood out as the best dressed squad.

12. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

[​IMG]

Nuff said?

13. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Hmmmm, not always in the literal sense, of course.

Yikes!!!

14. jmh

jmh New Member

Yeah, but goalkeeper jerseys are always loud, flashy (ugly) colors.

Umm, that *is* a goalkeeper jersey, right?

15. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Josh, definitely not a goal keepers jersey. Nice try though.

Funny enough though, Tom's brother Mike, has one of my favorite Fulham kits of all time which he wore to one of our first trips to Craven Cottage. Never actually saw a match where Fulham wore them (way beyond me time) but classic it itself.

16. jmh

jmh New Member

Wait, that's a... a field... player... wow. Lime green. I don't even have the words to describe that.