Teflon Barry: Oil and Methanol Dont Mix

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jul 6, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

If you haven't noticed, 'Hope and Change' Barry keeps 'refining his issue messages' until he looks like a piece of rope at a Boy Scout knot-tying contest.

One thing he hasn't refined to death -YET- is his position on Methanol as an Oil-Alternative.

I'm sureRalph Nader will point that out, but more might listen to The Guardian's Views.. certainly more than will believe a conservative blog

Did I mention ConAgra's HQ is in Nebraska.. real close to Illinois?

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

POLITICS 101

1. During primaries, appeal to your base.
    2. During general election, look to moderate those positions that look extreme, so as to appeal to the middle.

Happens every four years, and has done so since the 1950s at least. What's different about Obama in 2008? Not a damn thing.

There's no smoke, 'fog. Go sit out on your back porch, drink a cup of coffee and read the comics or the writeup about the Crew's comeback yesterday.

3. pettyfog

Well, Don... isnt that exactly the point? It's not what I think that counts. It's what his base thinks. More than half his supporters HOPE he's lying.
    I dont have to... though I missed the whole game I did get to see the tying goal.

Forget McBride, what the Crew needs to do is give GBS the DP slot and money.

Gee he's old, he's slow, hardly ever defends...and he's good for all the points available. And look who gets the goals... the young'uns and rookies who play to his skills.

4. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I'm reading HL Mencken right now and his writings would indicate that this was the case back in the 20's-30's as well. I've read articles in the past from the turn of the century, and you get the same thing. In fact, it's funny, b/c a lot of the same arguments come up, but often in reverse. Case in point, protectionism. Now the trend is toward globalization, but during the 1900's the popular argument was to tariff imports to protect domestic industry growth. Then you have both WW's. Isolationism v joining the war efforts. Seems the war debate has been the same for a long, long time.

I'm going to hazard a guess it goes further back than that even. I find it encouraging, though, as it's evidence that our nation has survived this type of behavior from our pols for a long time, and can continue to do so.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I love Mencken. My favorite quote of his used to drive my students to distraction: "For every problem there is a solution that is simple, neat, and WRONG.!"

About how far back this goes, I could only speak to the 50s. I could have asked Pettyfog about the 20s and 30s, but ... .

6. pettyfog

Sure, Don.

And that quote applies, universally. Like the current Dem Congress.

As to the twenties and thirties, let's just say that a lot of the 'solutions' to the Great Depression weren't exactly WRONG, but were as effective as peeing on a house fire.

The BIGGEST success in terms of regaining our national health: TVA and other hydroelectric projects. Which would never be - and ARE NOT ALLOWED to happen now because the sociological nay-sayers are in full command of the liberal propaganda machine.