summertime

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by dcheather, Jul 30, 2012.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

what's everyone been up to? Been kinda dead around here. But then again, there hasn't been a whole lot to talk about except speculation and rumors (yawn).

I've been hanging out at the pool and teaching the little guy to swim, getting him prepared for preschool and a new sister in the fall. :banana-guitar:

anyone go someplace exciting for summer vacation or planning to go somewhere?

2. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

We just returned from a RV tour. We went to Battle of Little Bighorn, Glacier National Park, Missoula, Craters of the Moon NP, and the Golden SPike. Lots of driving, but a good time. Glacier is a beautiful place and highly recommend if you enjoy any type of outdoors. It's pretty crowded in July, but still worth it.

3. RDG

RDG Member

Still un[bleep!]ing packing!!!

I have my records shelving unit come tomorrow. When it is FINALLY up, I can get rid of a TON of boxes in the living room and bedroom and maybe - just maybe - start to make this place look like a home!

My building has a pool on the roof and we are members, but we have not been yet!!

This has been a ba-ad summer! (Although I did get to Central Park today, and had a beer whilst watching the toy boats in the pond -- very civilized!)

4. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

Luckily I live in Vegas so I don't really have to go anywhere to have fun. I haven't done much, but I plan on going to the Da Vinci exhibit at one of the hotels and see the new Mob Museum. I want to see Cirque Du Soleil Zumanity, but I'm much too broke for an $85 ticket.

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Just got last night from a few days at the Colorado River where the Ca, Az, Nv borders meet. What's the best thing about a boat? When your friend has one :cool: His reply was the two best days for any boat owner is the day you buy one and the day you sell it. Getting my daughter ready for her first year of college (where did the time go?), has been priority one. Have to vacate for a few days next week due to termite fumigation and will be going on last mini-vacation of summer by going to Big Bear which is a cool local mountain town that sits on a lake (oddly enough called Big Bear Lake).

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

No vacation this summer. We're saving for an October trip to the CA wine country to see the daughter of my band partner get married. So, there's just the usual SA Missions baseball games, SA Scorpions football matches, BBQing and hanging out by the pool. Maybe next summer I'll be able to take HatterMom on a cruise again. I think I owe her about 4 of them by now.

7. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Big Bear is nice, love it up there...and you have a college - aged daughter??? :shock:

I'll light a candle for you. Congratulations, and God bless, sir.

8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Awesome for the wine country vacation...If you want, please PM me, HD, I can probably provide some info on the area(s). BBQ is in effect here as well - nothing better than a hot afternoon and BBQ...and family (that loves BBQ)...and margaritas.

9. SoCalJoe

Been many years since we've done NoCal wine country HD (we settle for Temecula, which is inland and heading towards San Diego, and is the equivalent of League 1 compared to the Prem up north), but you guys are going to have a great time.

Yeah Nev, our girl will be 18 in Sept. We started youngish, wanted more, but were only blessed with the one. It's funny, most all my college buddies are in their 40's w/toddlers and school aged kids, so it's been a big adjustment this summer.

10. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

We (spouse, 25 y.o. daughter, 20 y.o. son) made our annual pilgrammage to Busch Stadium in mid-June. Had a long weekend/family reunion at Lake Barkley a week later, haven't been doing much else since. Leaving for PCB, Florida in 10 days (not that I'm keeping count) for a week before the boy goes back to U of L for the fall semester. Can't wait for some fresh grouper, amberjack, etc.

11. MisterF

MisterF New Member

Been SUPER busy this summer. The wife and I bought our first house a couple weeks ago so we've had our hands full moving and getting the house together.

We moved within Columbus still but in a pretty cool area closer to downtown with tons to do. Fell in love with this 70 year old Cape Cod.

[​IMG]

Of course had to get my man-cave set-up right away. This is gonna be my soccer-watching spot this season!

[​IMG]

12. SoCalJoe

:clap: Congrats Mister F on the new digs, a never ending project.

13. MisterF

MisterF New Member

Thanks and you're not kidding about the never-ending project. Our to-do list just keeps getting longer every day!

14. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Concur. My favorite vacation as a kid was to Glacier National Park and all of my seven siblings would probably agree too.

15. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Fun thread.

Between my youngest boy's youth soccer, my husband's HS soccer coaching (they get two weeks with the team in July), and work, we only had a half week window for a summer vacation. We spent it fishing and exploring the coast and islands of Lake Erie. On South Bass Island we toured a cave which is really the world's largest geode, really cool. I felt like I'd been shrunken to 1/40th of my size and put inside a geode. The crystals were enormous. While we didnt go to Canada, we got to see it from the top of the country's second highest monument - the Perry Monument. It was built to commemorate Commodore Perry's naval victory over the British in the war of 1812. The veiws were spectacular.
    [​IMG]

The islands themselves are really beautiful with plenty of sites and state parks/nature preserves. Also in the same area is Cedar Point, home of the world's best roller coasters. It's really not a bad vacation destination, especially if you're in to roller coasters.

Now it's back to house projects. Three years ago we moved into a 1920's tudor home that had been neglected and needed complete restoration. We are about 75% finished because we do most of it ourselves.

16. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Really diggin' the flag I the man cave, F! Very cool!

17. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Congrats, Mister F.. That could be anywhere.. SORTA looks like along west side of Dublin Rd, near Fishinger. But, based on curbing and sidewalk, probably not. Toward Clintonville?

My cue. Just up Dublin rd from Fishinger, between Dublin rd and the Scioto, living a "Rehab this house" nightmare. My sis-in-law by marraiage bought a 7 figure house on the river for thirty cents on the dollar. As IS. Seems like every freaking thing that can go wrong, has so far. Except termites.

As her -in family consultant- I've been living in a reality show, bordering on a contractor's nightmare, all summer. It may never end.

18. MisterF

MisterF New Member

You're good! It's right in the heart of Central Clintonville. Very close to the Park of Roses. We absolutely love the location. We're within walking distance of so many great things.

Our house was in decent shape and we still have a million things to do. I cant imagine what your sister in law is going through! Sounds like it will be pretty incredible though once they get it fixed up.

19. MisterF

MisterF New Member

Thank you sir! Gotta represent!

20. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Yeah.. if you're about same latitude as PoR entrance,, library, right? Plus the supermarket on Broadway and High.. and -with a stretch- COULD walk a couple miles to Crew Stadium. I used to work in a building on west side of High about 3/4 of way north of Broadway toward Henderson.

Rest of you... that's a favorite neighborhood of the hippy > yuppie generation. My cousin lived in Clintonville for about 25 years. Till she and her hubby got tired of the house owning them.
    ;)