Summer 2024 Fulham Friendlies

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MicahMan, Aug 3, 2024.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Fulham played a pretty strong lineup in a 0-1 win against Benfica that somehow comes with a trophy!

Benfica probably deserved a goal in the second half with that double-doink, but it still seemed like a good showing from Fulham - Sessegnon got some time and no one was injured!

Final thought - is Gentleman Jim trying to come off as an unbiased observer? He was very subdued. I know it was pre-season, but I was missing his typical joy.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  2. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, his commentary was bizarre. I was half watching the highlights and I assumed when the goal happened I'd be alerted to pay closer attention. The goal came and went and I didn't even know it.

3. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Fulham comes away with a loss against Sevilla, but the second half looked pretty good - Smith Rowe gets his first and probably should have had another in just 45 minutes. Meanwhile poor Benda plays his first minutes for Fulham and lets in two goals and no saves in the first half. Hopefully Leno stays healthy. Gentleman Jim seems to be warming up to the season, a little more enthusiasm in this one:

SoCalJoe and nevzter like this.
  4. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

The friendlies close out with another win in a solid performance against Hoffenheim:

My takeaways from the pre-season:
    • Iwobi has been on fire. That should fill him with confidence, but he did run hot and cold last season so I hope he doesn't suddenly go quiet against Manchester United!
    • Traore looks like he has more value beyond just a super-sub. He's started a couple matches and looked really good. If he can stay healthy opposing teams will be terrified of his counter-attacking threat.
    • Leno is a top shelf goal keeper and I'm thrilled Fulham have him, but the gulf in quality between him and his backup is concerning.
    • Smith Rowe came ready to play and open a new chapter in his career. The possibilities here are exciting.
    • Fulham is good enough as-is to compete in the Premier League, but I'd still like to see another right-footed CB option. I think that is Fulham's primary weakness going into the season. A defensive mid-field option should be the other objective - can Fulham make this deal for Andre happen or not?
    • Fulham's kit this season is sharp! Whatever happens over the coming months, Fulham may look the best they ever have. I love the collar and I'm always impressed that the red stripes in the shirt line up with the red stripes in the shorts. Well done Adidas! And we haven't even seen the away kit in action yet! I just wish they could get a better sponsor logo on the left sleeve. When my wife glanced at some highlights I was watching she said "Wet Beds? Why does Fulham have Wet Beds?"

SoCalJoe likes this.
  5. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Question for those that have been following more closely than I have: where has Sessegnon been lining up? I did see that he played left back in the closed door scrimmage that preceded the Hoffenheim match, so maybe he’s going to be used as Robinson’s backup?

6. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

That does appear to be the way things are headed. He played LB every time I saw him.

7. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I’ve been impressed with Smith-Rowe so far. Tiny sample size, I know, but he looks like a guy who belongs out there and it shows. Head’s up, hustles, seems to have a knack of knowing where and when to attack and goes for it. Just looks like a guy who’s going to be there for a cross or a 50-50 ball when most are MIA.

MicahMan likes this.