Suggestions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by dcheather, Jul 28, 2008.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Help, I'm trying to figure out what to do for 2 weeks after my wedding in New Hampshire. We plan on visiting Vermont, Maine (maybe), and Montreal. It's not exactly a honeymoon, as we're planning on doing that later in Portugal. (Mmmm...Port wine Insitute)

We both like to hike, trail run, and mtn bike and enjoy the city life as well. Please help me with any "must dos" in these locations.

I've already looked at some websites and such. But if anybody knows of anything really "good," that may or may not be on some travel guides, please share. Thanks.

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I can't give you any suggestions but congratulations on the upcoming wedding! That is great news Heather!

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Thanks, Tom.

4. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Well if you are into hiking then visiting the HUGE L.L.Bean store in Freeport Maine is always a good stop. For Vermont I might suggest the Ben and Jerry's tour. Those are two classic tourist stops that I can think of.

Congrats on the wedding!

5. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Congrats Heather! That is great news, Katy and I are very happy for you.

AS for suggestions in Maine, if you want to do some good hiking, you may have to go a bit more North than you want, but Mt. katahdin which is the top of the Apalachian trail.

When is the big day? Portland Maine was great when Katy and I went last year as well.

6. sublicon

sublicon New Member

Uhh, if you're in Vermont . . hit the Ben & Jerry's Factory!! And take the car on a ferry across Lake Champlain!

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Re: RE: Suggestions

Thanks, Mike. The big day is the 8th of August.

Yeah, we probably won't drive that far north. I think we will mostly be doing VT, NH, Montreal, and Southern Maine (if at all).

8. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Heather, congrats.

First of all, when will you be there?

I dont know all of Vermont but I have taken a short vacation there with friends the last two years. We stay on Lake Champlain which is a must do destination. Cities, other than the Ski resort towns, that I recommend are Burlington and Middlebury.

I've done two hikes there, Snake Mountain and Poke O Moonshine. Snake Mtn is 3.6 miles and 900ft high. The hike is easy with very nice views at the top. We did it because we had two 5yr olds with us but I thought it might work for trail running.

Poke o-moonshine is a fantastic hike with breathtaking views at the top (and blueberry bushes). I highly recommend it. It is only 1.2 miles up but it is nearly vertical so you will get a workout. There are also cliffs if you rock climb. It is in New York just across Lake Champlain from VT. You take a ferry (takes cars and pedestrians) from Cedar Beach, VT to Essex, NY. There is a nice restaurant on the water next to the ferry on the Essex side. Even though Poke O is in NY, it is right off of 87 which you will probably take to or from Montreal so I'm thinking that it'll be convenient.

If you are in New Hampshire Sept 12 and 13th, you might want to check out the Reach the Beach relay for some festive atmosphere.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Senator ... this will be a black and white wedding, correct? :wink: As I remember, the young man first endeared himself to you by buying you a McBride bobblehead.

Congratulations. Being married is the single best thing in the world ... at least in my world!

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yes, the "young" man did buy a McBride bobble head last year for my birthday. :lol:

Mo, I will be there in the North from Aug. 5th through Aug. 20th. I definitely plan on going to Burlington and then going to Montreal in between those dates. Thanks for the trail recommendations, I'll be sure to check them out.

So far, Ben and Jerry's and the ferry across Lake Champlain seem to be favs.

Thanks everybody.

11. Coog

Coog New Member

The Trapp Family Lodge is in Stowe, Vt (Sound of Music). I've never been but heard it was beautiful.

12. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

If you like adventure and go to Maine try whitewater rafting. I have gone twice with Magic Falls and had a blast both times.

Congrats

13. DCDave

DCDave Member

Sorry that I don't have any suggestions, but I had to post so I could say congratulations Heather, that is great news! Plus, it's always good to add another fan to the DC Fulham supporters list!

14. terrinh73

terrinh73 Member

Congrats, Heather! I have a suggestion, although it may be a little unorthodox and not very romantic...there are a few Hash House Harrier groups in that area. Hashers are trail-runners who gather usually at least once a week to run marked trails in their area and gather to drink beer and sing stupid songs. The advantage if you do one is that you can ask locals about the hiking/ camping/ running spots in their area. Every hasher I know (myself included) knows about some of the cool "lesser known" little spots off the beaten track. It's not a civilized activity...but hashers are good natured folk and it would be a good way to get some tips. If you go to the websites, know that hashers have colorful "hash names"...a tradition that began with the first hash in Kuala Lumpur in 1938 :). It's not a cult, I swear!

You can also e-mail someone on the hash website and ask for suggestions. They will be happy to help...
    Here's the link for Seacoast HHH (New Hampshire):
    http://www.seacoasth3.com/
    Burlington HHH (Vermont):
    http://www.burlingtonhash.com/
    Montreal HHH (Montreal...duh):
    http://www.geocities.com/colosseum/1133/

Congrats on your upcoming nuptials!
    Terri in ATL

15. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

NH has underrated hiking. The area around Lake Winnepesauke is great and of course there's always hiking Mt. Washington. The whole Pinkham Notch area is really nice. And consider hitting Portsmouth on the sea coast. Fun, very cool little city with great food.
    Acadia National Park in Maine is a great place to spend a couple days too.

16. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

congrats, Heather! That explains your relative loss of interest in this MB {and nothing wrong with that, either! If I had a life I wouldnt be here. Rest of you.. YMMV} }
    8)

Even this non-hiking non-biking non work up a sweat for leisure midwestern edge of flatland farm boy thinks it would be GREAT to hike New Hampshire.

'Why travel when you're already there' sort of thing!

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Thanks, Fog. I missed you guys.

18. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

And we missed you!

19. RDG

RDG Member

Congrats and best of luck!!

My wife, who grew up in the Greater Montpelier area, made the suggestion of using Google (hoo boy, I never would have thought of that!). www.vermont.com has been helpful in the past. Some of my favorite places, though I neither bike nor hike:

- Seven Barrel brewpub in Lebanon, NH: great beer and good food, 'nuff said;
    - Chester's Bakery in Fairfield,VT: if you are in the area (though why I don't know, as it's in the middle of nowhere), this is an incredible bakery, doing great cookies and breads.
    - Harpoon Brewery in Windsor, VT and Magic Hat in Burlington, VT (I happen to like beer!)
    - VT Dept of Tourism: 800-837-6668; VT recreation info (Dept. of Forests and Parks): 802-241-3655.
    - NH Office of Travel/Tourism: 800-386-4664
    - Maine Dept of Tourism: 888-624-6345
    - Maple farms: any are good, my personal fave (mostly because of the maple creamies) is Morse Farms in Montpelier, VT, though Bragg Farms, not far away, is good, too.
    - Yeah, the Ben and Jerry's thing is worth the trip!
    - Cabot's cheese is good, too, there's a branch in Waterbury, VT and the main farm/dairy is in, well, Cabot VT.

From my wife:
    - Maine: Rachel Carson Trail in Wells. Nice trail, small and insect-infested.
    - Maine: has cheap-o liquor stores just across the border.
    - NH: Hooksett has some nice trails.
    - Maine: Precipice Trails - 45 miles of steep and rocky terrain.