Stupid Owner Tricks

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Jun 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, Man City have fired SGE

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 430827.stm

Anybody with half an eye knew that City were playing above their heads in the first two months of the season. Ericksson had to meld all these new players -- obtained mostly in the last two weeks of summer -- as well as cope with the Richards injury and the fact that he had no real goalscorer until January.

This wasn't good enough evidently.

Ericksson for Mexico? Mark Hughes for City? Rovers for bottom half of table?

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

1. SGE = overrated

2. Managing sports is as much 'right place/right time' as any other vocation.

3. SGE = overrated

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

perhaps, but when

a = Citeh fire SGE after giving them a solid top half of table finish
    b = Inter fire Mancini after winning their 3rd Serie A title in a row
    c = Scum fire Grant after finishing 2nd in EPL and second in ECL

then a+b+c=d when

d = Stupid owner tricks

But perhaps they're right. Perhaps a better manager would have kept Terry from slipping on that penalty.

4. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I always chuckle when I hear that SGE is overrated.

Takes England to 3 consecutive quarter finals, losing in penalty kicks.

....Next manager, with same players, doesn't even qualify for Euro2008.

Take over a near relegated ManCity and gets them a top-ten spot and European football.

...I bet their next manager doesn't top the above.

5. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

It goes to show that the owners are becoming as fickle as the fans and we have hit a new low in football. When relative 'success' doesn't gaurantee a thing.

Sky sports mapped out the averaged length of a managers spell since the Premiership formed and how it dramatically decreased in the last few years. I'll see if I can find it, it's shocking!

6. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Petty -

I dont know what your problem is with Sven, but he has proven to be a winning manager. Right place at the right time? Maybe if you are only talking one random season - but things have gone well for him consistently.

Sanchez - not a winner, and look what he did to the club.

The manager matters - I dont think this is a shocking concept. So what is your real problem with Sven?

7. pettyfog

I dont disagree with him having 'proved to be a winning manager' at all. I said 'overrated' and of course that's 'by some'... not by all.

Where WAS his 'winning', BTW?

8. Jensers

Jensers New Member

He went on to become a successful club football manager from 1978 to 2001, in the Swedish, Portuguese and Italian top football divisions, most notably with Italian club S.S. Lazio. During this time Eriksson achieved several national league, domestic cup and two notable UEFA competition wins. With his achievements in this period, Eriksson is so far the only manager who has achieved the league-and-cup double in three different countries (Sweden, Portugal and Italy).

His success with vice manager Tom Chadney by his side attracted the attention of much larger clubs, and Eriksson joined IFK Göteborg in 1979. He won the Swedish Cup in his first season, and a "treble" of League, Cup and UEFA Cup (Göteborg beating Hamburger SV 4-0 in the final) in 1982.

Eriksson's European success led to him being head-hunted by Portuguese club SL Benfica, and he had a similarly quick impact there, Benfica winning the Portuguese Championship, the Portuguese Cup and finishing runners-up in the UEFA Cup. After a second Championship the following year, Eriksson moved on to Italy, becoming trainer of AS Roma. He was not as immediately successful at Roma as he had been before, but he still won a Coppa Italia in 1986.

After a trophyless two years at Fiorentina, Eriksson moved back to Benfica for a second stint in 1989, where he led the team to the final of the European Cup (losing to AC Milan 1-0) in 1990, and another League title in 1991. In 1992 Eriksson returned to Italy to try his luck again, with Sampdoria, where he managed to win another Coppa Italia in 1994.

Eriksson finally found major success in Italy when he joined Lazio in 1997 (after controversially reneging on a deal to join English club Blackburn Rovers); with Lazio he won the Coppa Italia and the Italian Supercup in 1998 and 2000, the European Cup Winners' Cup (1999 - the very last tournament), and the Serie A title (the Scudetto) in 2000 — only the second time that the Roman club had won the Italian championship in their history. That season had begun with glory in the UEFA Super Cup, winning 1-0 against Manchester United. Bankrolled by Sergio Cragnotti's investment in the team - some £274 million in over 4 seasons - Eriksson amassed trophies on a remarkable scale, and because of this many fans consider him to be Lazio's most successful manager ever.

* Improved England's FIFA World ranking from 17th place (Jan 2001) to 5th place (July 2006)

(highest ranking No.4 during World Cup 2006)

Managed to reach the quarter final in three consecutive tournaments (WC 2002, Euro 2004, WC 2006). No other European country achieved this during this period, and on an international level only Brazil. England was also, apart from Sweden, the only European country that did not suffer elimination from group play or failure to qualify during this time (2001-2006)

Achieved the highest point percentage in Major Tournament Matches of all time for an England manager

Rated by the FA as England's 2nd most successful Manager after Sir Alf Ramsey.

Wikipedia.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and I hear Petty saying, "yeah? Well, he's still overrated." :lol:

10. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The fact he guided that team to a top ten finish even when injuries to Dunne and Richards hamstrung their D was one thing, the fact the team did a double on the cross-town rivals (you know the ones that did a double of their own) was certainly enough for him to keep the gig for next year.

11. Bradical

Bradical Member

Sven did a great job at Man City, I thought. They were lucky to have him, and if he had Benjani for the whole year, I think they would have challenged for the 5th spot until the end. Some fortunate club will pick him up.

12. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Very true, and I foresee a relegation fight for Man City next year. I realize that he never bought a house in Manchester and lived out of a hotel, so he had to know something didn't smell quite right. Already w/ Dunne out and Richards going, and their offense starting to fall flat at the end of the year, they'll be around 15th or so.

I once read how Sir Alex Ferguson liked to try to recount all of the City managers since he arrived at Man United and said once he got to double digits he had to stop wasting his time. That is a difference between a winning and a losing club.

What is more discouraging is it basically says you cannot even have a bad run of games and expect to stay as manager in some clubs. Too much short term shuffling occurs at the expense of the long term in the Prem.

13. pettyfog

Actually.. the most cogent part of the post. And how can I not say that, having observed Steve Sampson, then Bruce Arena.
    Yeah, I admit it. .. Not a fan of SGE. Since he's so good, there will be a new job soon. When he proves me wrong, I'll eat the pie.

I'll say this about Sven at Mancity, though: He managed to make it not so much about him.

- - - - -- - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - -- -- - - - -
    BTW: General, how's the second part of the Powell Doctrine working out? You know, win with overwhelming military force then withdraw and hand it to L Paul Bremer.

14. jmh

jmh New Member

Does firing your manager a lot lead to poor performance? Or does poor performance lead to firing your manager a lot?

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think it's where you're sitting. Last year Chelsea finished 2nd and reached the ECL semis and fired "the special one." This year they finished 2nd and reached the ECL finals and fired "the somnolent one."

I've got a brother in Austin and I like to point out that when a UT football coach wins eight games in a season, talk radio goes nuts about firing him. When Ralph Friedgen won 8 games in two consecutive seasons at Maryland [fear the Turtle], the alumni were ready to appoint him pope.

16. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Man City were not as good as their record indicated. They allowed a ton of shots on target, but their goalkeepers were excellent....they may have won 10 points or so from goalkeeping alone.

I do give Sven a lot of credit for what they have done...City was horrible last year.

17. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

That is my point. City flat-out stunk last year, comparatively they did pretty well this campaign. Last year they could barely buy a goal, for crying out loud. This year they held a champions league spot for the forst four months of the year, beat their most hated rivals home and away in a year when they won the league and the European Cup, and qualified for Europe. No relegation worries all year. Sure they did it with some smoke and mirrors all over the field. They still did it.

I think it's funny how struggling teams go through managers as quickly as they do. Whether it's the cause or effect, when they do have success, something in their organizational mindset seems to be intent on tossing it away.

This is also known as the Newcastle effect.

18. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Following int'l football has given me a whole new perspective on US attitudes for firing coaches. Here you catch heat if you want to run a guy without giving him 4 years. How many EPL managers have been canned in the last 2 seasons inside of 1 year on the job? The Europeans are honing this thing down to an art form...has to be the relegation aspect.

Then again, the idea that we'd be looking at 3 more years of Sanchez makes me shudder as well.

19. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

20. pettyfog