Stoppage Time: Is there a better way?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Apr 4, 2016.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

After watching the assistant referee butcher the amount of extra time allotted time yesterday in the Leicester City-Southampton match (thankfully it didn't have affect the outcome) it brings back something I've always wondered, and that's how seemingly arbitrary the refs come up with the time added. Shouldn't there be a more transparent why? Would it be an idiotic idea to have a secondary clock that runs when there is a delay so it could be down to the second how much should be added? Any other ideas or should it just be left the way it is?

tim likes this.
  2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

In the original NASL days, the ref signalled the timekeeper in the stands to stop the clock at the appropriate time -- much like roundball and pointy football. It gave us here in South Texas one great dramatic moment when the SA Thunder's captain, the legendary Bobby Moore, scored his only goal for us after looking up at the clock and just belting the fool out of it.

Elsewhere, prior to the way we do it now, most stadium clocks were not digital, nor -- if there were more than one did they often agree with each other. As a result, if there was a significant amount of injury time to be played, fans would begin whistling with about 30 seconds to go and do it constantly until the final whistle. I MUCH prefer the modern way.

3. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

I say we experiment with a small explosive device inside the ball that is connected to the official's true game time. We still only get a round-about measure of "5 additional minutes" announced, but inside the ball a timer counts down to when it will detonate and leave a small pile of debris and a puff of white smoke where a ball used to be. We'll get a higher degree of game time accuracy combined with the tension of playing "Perfection"!

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and we get a new Pope into the bargain! I like it!!!!

5. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

With so many games a week it would quickly be worse than the Papal Schism of 1378!

jumpkutz likes this.