Stop whinging

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by andyns, Aug 12, 2007.

1. andyns

andyns New Member

I'm sorry, but some of you newbies and even old timers need a fucking wakeup call. I can't believe some of the shit written here. What did you really expect?

This was the first game of the season. Lawrie Sanchez's first real game. Away at the Emirates, where Arsenal have only lost once. Six players made their debuts. Our keeper was injured in the warmup. We were gifted a goal. We led for 84 minutes. We got away with a clear foul in the box. We had sensational goalkeeping. We created chances. It was a thrilling game and we came off on the wrong side, so be it.

If you want a team that wins every game, then piss off, there is a club 2 miles up the road for you.

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Haven't read the Arsenal thread yet, but it sounds like it promises to be good.

Agree, that today Fulham showed they are to be reckoned with this season. Already a better squad than last season's.

3. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

I agree with a fair share of your overall assessment andyns, but maybe not the tone or sentiment of your original post. Slagging off fans for their manner of support isn't for me.

The optimism was fantastic, but the early goal seemed to be more or less false hope. The match was always going to be an uphill battle and I like the depth and options I saw from the Fulham side LS assembled. Not expecting a win every week or even a draw. I do however expect the team to be competitive in ever match. Regardless of the result, if Fulham's puts in the effort that they had today I will be satisfied.

4. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

woah there buddy. i think you're forgetting the fact that:

a)it was the first game of the season after a busy offseason
    b)its the first real, good football/soccer since early may. all due respect but the subpar/boring gold cup, the copa america fiasco, and the ridiculous beckham mania coupled with mls's mediocrity kept me occupied, but not ever excited
    c)for awhile it looked like Fulham were going to get POINTS ON THE ROAD AGAINST ARSENAL ON THE OPENING DAY. i dont think anyone can stress that enough.
    d)its august and there's nothing else to do this time of the year but talk

if these discussions were going on in december after a cup loss to walsall or in march after a loss to west ham, i would probably join in with you.

on a total random, side note: i totally recommend everyone see the film "Brick". Man oh man its good. A film noir set in a high school - amazing!

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Re: Stop whinging

Threadjack warning!!!

Do not rent "Brick" if you are over 30 (maybe even 25) years old. To me (older than 35), it just tried too hard.

6. Markus

Markus Member

Your middle paragraph here is a really good take on the game, but as mentioned earlier, the other negative tone towards fellow supporters is yours alone.

You have to understand with this being the first game of the season, everyone's emotion/expectation-meters are pegged full throttle.....realistic or unrealistically. :wink:

7. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Re: Stop whinging

true it did. and i really didnt like the main actor. but i like how it used film noir ethos and put them in a contemporary setting. who needs a ominous, labyrinth city when you got the sprawling suburbs? i could go on and on but you're not wrong with that assertion.

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: Stop whinging

Comparison. Blue Velvet for high schoolers??

You're right, at least they tried something different.

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: Stop whinging

Since the thread has gone all off, anyway...
    Something I always wondered:

How do you pronounce 'Whinging'?

10. ChicagoFan

ChicagoFan New Member

That is all well and good, but what is frightening is how similar this game was to so many from last year -- blowing a late lead and squandering points. One cannot help but think, "Oh, no -- here we go again."

Besides, a good whinging now and then is quite therapeutic, I find. :wink: :lol:

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Just like it's spelled; the first g is soft.

12. pettyfog

Really...

I dont think I ever hear anyone actually say, 'Whinejing'... Or is it Whinjing?

Oh well, I must have missed the obvious.

13. ChicagoFan

ChicagoFan New Member

Well, given your continued support of Gearge Bush, that's not really all that surprising, is it? :wink:

14. pettyfog

As opposed to holding my finger in the air to see what is appropriate and fashionable?*... and you REALLY dont want to start a pissing contest with me as to 'how I support Bush', you'll lose... because you'll have to counter with YOUR 'beliefs' and how you justify them..

*Which, amazingly is appropriate to the hijack: "Whinge = 'Whining Binge'?"

I should'a just looked it up.

- http://www.word-detective.com/121800.html

In other words... if andyns were a yank, his use of 'whinge' would be an affectation.

I never asked a canuck to use 'whine' in a sentence so I cant say... all I know is I never heard a yank say 'whinge'. And I'll make fun of the first one who does!

- petty 'I wanna get a Dutch houseboat on the Zuider Zed' fog

- - - - - -- -
    By the way, while we are on the subject of 'affectation' or not.
    I DO take issue with the use of the word 'flat' as an example. I dont know about New York, but the use of 'flat' is by no means 'new' where I live.

There are basically TWO configurations in multi-occupant rental units:

Townhouse, meaning rooms arranged vertically
    and
    Flats - self descriptive

I dont know of any common descriptive other than 'flat'.

15. ChicagoFan

ChicagoFan New Member

Uh, no -- as opposed to having an ounce of sense instead of spewing meaningless slogans and platitudes, and being a mindless apologist for Bush for the last 6 years. But yeah, other than that, you're right on top of things, you are. :roll: :wink: :lol:

Oh, and stop whinging about it, would you? :wink:

16. pettyfog

Hmmm yes, I DONT blame you, you voted for the biggest sockpuppet ever to run.

17. Team_of_McBrides

Since we are in a defining mood today how about we try this on for size.

Hijack:

1. To stop and rob.
    2. To steal from a vehicle in transit.
    3. To seize control of by use of force, especially in order to reach an alternate destination

Back on topic...

18. pettyfog

Back on topic?

Fine with me.... I said all there is to say on my Front Page Editorial.

And I'm pretty sure I was right, judging from a distillation of the comments on various MB's.

- - - -- - -
    Now a moderator comment.

I have yet to ban anyone on here for inappropriate posting. I have yet to bully anyone for what they write.. no matter how YOU might view it. If I have edited to post to remove off-topic comment it was so long ago, I cant remember.
    I read the BigSoccer Crew forum. This would not tolerated there, there would be moderator intervention... yet we have lately had as many or more posts per day. But when that starts happening you open a can of worms and something very valuable is lost. And I hate them slimy things.. worms, I mean.

When I post here, it is nothing of more weight than what any of you post. I just was given the job, i presume, because I had more time on my hands at that time.

If you guys, however think you can just sling barbs at me without me responding then you're wrong. Especially if they're of the ad hominem type posted above.

uhh.. well... NOW back on topic!

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

"Nice one, Cyril; nice one, son. Nice one, Cyril; let's have another one!" -- another obscure 1960-70's lyric.

HatterDon's FUSA thread hijack award of the day to the first person who:

Identifies "Cyril's" last name AND
    identifies the "artists" who recorded this song.

20. Team_of_McBrides

Just had the chance to read your thoughts on the match and I must say that I agree with you almost whole heartedly.

The most interesting bit, that I found, concerned McBride and the possible future dilemma around Fulham's captaincy. I believe McBride has all the characteristics that you would want in a captain, but it is true that being the captain is not for everyone. Leading by example has never been a problem for McBride... is it possible he just had an off match or is he heaping too much pressure on himself?

Only time will tell. He deserves to wear the armband for at least a month or two. His loyalty and hard work deserve at least that.

Surprise there was little to no mention of Baird?

Spot on about Smertin though.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just read your additional comments on the reply as well.

Easy Jim. No one is singling you out. You do a fine job for this forum and have yet to post anything to call your methods or reasoning into question.

Cheers