staying warm

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Clevelandmo, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

So I'm looking ahead and planning for February 11th. I dont want to be distracted by frostbite as I watch the US . . . . . (I wont make any predictions). Anyone have any experience with warmers (air activated) or hotties (microwave heated) or any other high tech staying warm technology. Do they keep you warm?

2. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Mo, I ride my bike in the cold all the time. Many layers is the key and the right material for each layer. Some of my riding buddies (girls and guys) buy those warming pads from Target and insert them into their cycling shoes to keep their feet warm and they swear by them. You could easily fit them into gloves as well as shoes as they are small enough to fit. I have been riding in 32-35 degree cold (I know I know) but that is damn cold her in CA especially when you are moving up to 45mph down hills. Wool hat, wind and waterproof outlayer, wicking inner layers, and warmers.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I was going to make a joke about how I prefer "hotties" keeping me warm, but the big thing is to have your head covered, and your hands and feet warm but not constricted. Stand up at least once every 15 minutes. The old stamping on the stands is a good thing to do as well. Oh, and save the drinking until the post-match victory celebration. Alcohol thins the blood and makes it tougher to stay warm, and them undressing trips to the toidy ain't fun either.

4. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Don, I was going to say a warm body as well, mandatory that it is of the opposite gender, but decided to refrain. :D

5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

"Grabber Mycoal" hand/foot warmers. You can pick them up at any outdoor retailer, and probably any Target / Wal Mart as well.

They'll keep you warm.

6. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Goose hunting in zero degree weather... Layering, Hot Drink, Hand Warmers, Good Socks and loose boots to keep the blood flowing. If things get bad - hand warmers in the boot work well to give you that extra something.

Hand Warmers are cheap and they will last far beyond the 90 minutes. Microwaved warmers have never lasted that long for me.