Stats Inc.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by americanmike, Sep 17, 2008.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I saw a couple of people two or three weeks ago talking about Stats Inc.

Anyone now anything about said company?

P.S. There is a point to this post!

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Mike, LaxAttack works for them.

3. americanmike

Cool...and I think DaveNearDC knows something about them as well. Come on fellas, where are you?

4. DCDave

DCDave Member

I know a couple of people who used to work for them. They were based in Chicago and move out to LA when Fox Sports bought them out a few years ago. After the non-compete clause ran out, the founder, John Dewan, founded Baseball Info Systems, which does about the same thing STATS Inc did (on the baseball end--STATS, Inc now does many sports). Bill James also was involved with STATS, Inc and is involved with Baseball Info Systems.

STATS, Inc., grew out of a dispute about 15-20 years ago between people involved with Project Scoresheet, a group that set out to score every MLB game and break Elias' monopoly on sports stats. I don't want to get this wrong, but as I recall, the dispute was between a looser volunteer-type organization that would provide free stats and another group that wanted to professionalize it but charge for the data. The pro-side left and founded STATS, Inc.

Is that what you were looking for, Mike? I can give you a few more details if you want to PM me.

5. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I work for them.

The company is still based out of Chicago, only the TV Research department is in LA.

6. americanmike

The reason I ask is that I met a fellow American this weekend (actually a husband of a friend) who flew over to see visit London and see the Fulham game and he works for Stats Inc. in Chicago...think as a writer.

I told him that a couple of you guys where talking about STATS Inc. on the board. Then he said that there is another Fulham fan in his office that has been to The Cottage a couple of times and loves FFC. Didn't know if he was on here or not!

So thats my story...

7. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I see.

Well, I guess there are a couple FFC fans within my company.

Hopefully one day I can make it to The Cottage to see a game.