Statement from Magath - Should He Stay or Should He Go

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MicahMan, May 6, 2014.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Statement from Felix Magath: http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/may/0 ... he-manager

Gives the impression that he will be around next year, but I expect most managers say such things right until the bitter end. I find it most interesting that this was a post on the club site as opposed to a statement to the press. Seems to give it a little more weight.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

He'll be here in August. There's a lot of palaver in Fulham land -- including on this site -- that you need a Brit with experience in the Championship to get us back up. There's a lot of merit in this. I say that any Premier League manager capable of playing a 6'7" left-footed CB at right back in his team's most critical match of the season can certainly do that in the Championship as well.

3. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Public relations drivel. If he were sincere and actually wrote this, he would have apologized for his post match "apology" where he basically blamed the players. Remember the audience. This is for diehard fans, not the interested public, thus the forum. A media release of this nature serves no purpose and probably would not have been disseminated at all. A feeble attempt to save face and appease the fan base. Nothing more, nothing less. Seeing as he was hired to do one thing, keep us up, he should be sacked along with Mackintosh, et. al. We need an infusion of new blood. Might as well start now.

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I'd fire him and let Kit Symons coach the team.

5. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Dave Moyes is looking for work.

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

This is Magath's 10th managerial job since 1995. I'm not a mathematical genius, but the chances of him being here beyond the 2014-1015 season are remote no matter how the team performs this fall. Keeping Felix past next week would be a bigger mistake than hiring him in the first place. The next manager doesn't have to be British, but someone w/experience, who would have instant respect form the players,is familiar to area, and would be committed to Fulham going forward...Go get Roberto Di Matteo.

7. tslyon

tslyon Member

For the lazy (like me), here is Felix's open letter...

Dear Fans,

We as a team, and I include myself and management, would like to apologise for our bad performance on Saturday. It certainly was not what you as fans were expecting and should rightfully demand of us, but we were unable to perform on the day, resulting in our downfall.

The support that you have given us has been exceptional and is much appreciated. I do realise that you have been through difficult times this season, but you have continued to be our ever faithful 12th man and I cannot praise and thank you enough.

I was appointed by Mr Khan in February, and willingly signed a contract for 18 months, realising that there was a distinct possibility that we would not survive in the Premier League. Contrary to many opinions, I was not only brought in until the end of the season, with the primary target of keeping Fulham in the Premier League, but to build a team that can compete in the top flight.

The reality is that we have been relegated, but my commitment and desire to Fulham remains.

In the short space of time that I have spent here, I have been very impressed with so many aspects of our Football Club, and with this in mind, my one priority is to give Premier League football back to you.

During the summer months, there most certainly will be many changes within the Club, we obviously need to improve and redefine our playing staff. We have in our Academy team, talented, young and hungry players. I have experienced on many occasions, through working and developing youth team players, that they have the possibility to become top professionals, I name for example Philipp Lahm from Bayern Munich. Bearing this in mind and making additions to our squad, I feel very optimistic for the future.

On Sunday we play our final game of this season against Crystal Palace, and we owe it to you to put on a good performance that is worthy of your fantastic support.

I am looking forward to the task ahead and to a successful future for all of us.

Thank you.

Felix.

Cheers,

Steve

8. tim

tim Active Member

I wouldn't put anything past the people running the club right now. That includes keeping Felix on the job next season.

I mean, it's been one wrong decision after another for the past couple years. Why should we expect that to change?

9. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

This. Is he really the guy we want to help orchestrate a rebuild? This club needs to settle on a style of play that is sustainable and apply it across the first team and academy. Then go get the manager and players to execute it. Whatever that style, you need to have a short list of managers you would be interested in bringing on board that fit it b/c the average tenure for a manager is less than 2 years. If Magath fits, fine. But I'm far from sold on the guy.

Moyes isn't going from Everton, to United, to the Championship. He'll wind up at Newcastle or West Ham, or possibly Villa. When Lerner went with the long term approach of going with youth and Paul Lambert, I suspect he went into it with the idea that patience would be required. So I view Villa as a long shot there.

The British thing is interesting. Looking at this season and the 9 previous, you have 29 teams (don't know the playoff winner for this season yet) who have won promotion dating back to the 2004-05 season. Of those 29, only one was led by a non-Brit. That was Roberto DiMatteo who brought WBA up in 2010. Now the next question would be what % of Championship managers during that span were non-Brits. And then is that % greater, equal or less than the 1 in 29 (3.45%) that have achieved promotion. I would suspect it's a small percentage, but larger than 3.45%.

No way Magath wrote that, btw. He probably had input, but that came from the press agents.

10. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

I'm actually 50/50 on this one. IMHO, it takes more heart and dedication to get to the top 20 than to remain in the top 20. Magath's history of discipline and supposed meticulous preparation is something I would want in a manager trying to get back up. However, it's hard to say whether he was just too late, or if the players just wouldn't perform for him. With Brede's comments, I would place my bet on the former. If it's a younger team, I'm for keeping Magath.

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

You have to remember as well, none of the current Fulham players are his. He was not able to bring a single player in during any of the transfer windows and was left a lot of crap. 3 managers and each with similar records with essentially the same core of players. As timmyg said in another thread you can't polish a turd. Although I'm more hesitant to keep him than dtown, and it's because of this track record in the Bundesliga. Like Joe said, he doesn't stay in one place long. But neither did Roy really. If we do get a decent manager in and does really well, well he's most likely off to a bigger club. So sigh. I really don't have an answer. I'm game for whatever right now.