State Lines and Water Rights

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Feb 21, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Just days after Toledo's nob mayor kicked Michigan based Marines out of town, reminding some of the Toledo War, Georgia's trying to fix a surveyor error and claim a bend in the Tennessee river as in it's territory.

So it can alleviate the longstanding drought. Tenn. residents are not happy; GA has higher taxes.

Here's a hint, Tennessee.. just give 'em the water.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

'fog; I've been on the road for a bit. Do you have a link on the highlighted bit?

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

We don't have that kind of problem, we just take NoCal's H2O (which is about the only time we claim to be in the same state as them).

5. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

SoCal also takes our water from Colorado. Pretty sure anyone leaving in Colorado hates SoCal, other than visiting. Sorry Joe.

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

No worries dtwondough, for as many people moving here these days just as many are leaving (know 3 people and who've moved to your neck of the woods in the last 18 months).

As far as the water is concerned, have you seen our lawns lately? we need your water. 8)

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Riparian rights. Fun stuff.

8. Lyle

Lyle New Member

... or appropriation rights out West (first come, first serve... more or less). Makes it all the more difficult to determine who gets what and why.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

thanks for the link, 'fog. Just got back from a week in "sunny" Oakland [there really IS no there there], and saw the Code Pink v. USMC in Berkley kerfaffle. They made no reference to the Toledo stuff.

Don't like to comment on what voters in other cities should do, but if the Marines want to practice a little urban warfare training in my part of Bexar County, I'll do my bit to convice the mayor to invite them in -- hell, The Tim and Bob Show will entertain them as they train. Having said that, considering that 80% of the people in any city don't know what the hell is going on from time to time, I can see why Toledo's mayor was concerned about scaring his citizenry. Don't want to startle people who think that "Lost" and "General Hospital" are real.