Stan the Man

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Clevelandmo, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

As a lifelong Cardinal fan whose life began too late to truly appreciate him, there's little doubt that Stan was, and will continue to be for quite some time, the greatest Cardinal ever. And that's saying something. The Yankees may have more trophies and HOF'ers, but NOBODY has more class AND success than the St. Louis Cardinals and Stanley Frank Musial. They were America's Team WAY before some idiot dubbed the Cowboys so. And for me, they ALWAYS will be. And Stan The Man will always be the greatest standardbearer of that legacy.

"Here stands baseball's perfect warrior. Here stands baseball's perfect knight."

Ford Frick

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I love baseball. I love the history of baseball. As an S.F. Giants supporter (big swallow here), and although I never saw him play, I love Stan Musial. He was class and is far too often omitted from the "one of the best" players discussions.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

He was my very first baseball hero -- okay, my second. My first was my father even though he was getting older before I knew much about him. Speaking of baseball history, he had what i consider the greatest single season of any player in 1947 or 48 when he led the national league in
    Batting Average
    Runs
    Hits
    Doubles
    Triples
    RBI

He was second in HR

A real gentleman. :bow-yellow:

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Along with Dr.J the greatest nickname in US sports history. Albert Pujols hated being called EL Hombre because he said there is 'only one The Man'. SI had a brilliant article about Musial a few years ago, and as fine a player as he was he was a better human being.

6. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

Stan is a honorary member of my fraternity and our sportsmanship award is named after him. To young to see him play but would have loved too.

7. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Musial was before my time, but in my younger years I was quite the baseball history buff. He's easily one of the greatest players of his era and one of the best pure hitters of all time.