St. Louis Next To Get MLS Franchise

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by BC, Apr 8, 2008.

1. BC

BC New Member

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Hope for all the people waiting for a team in the St. Louis it happens, but waiting for more investors seems an awfully big piece of the puzzle.

Nice to hear the Commish wants to go there, but there have now been 2 NFL Commissioners that has publically stated every year that LA was the #1 priority for the league (basically since 1995).

Hope there are plans to put a footie-specific stadium (is there any room near the Cardinals new ballpark?) downtown.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Understand your point, SCJ, but St. Louis and Toronto are the two traditional centers of football in North America. It's just weird NOT to have a MLS side in St. Louis. I'll be glad to see it a reality.

4. BC

BC New Member

They are planning to construct a stadium complex in Collinsville, IL, just outside of STL. I would think a downtown location would be better, but I guess they couldn't get it to work.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Reluctantly I agree that St. Louis should have a team, but I'm bummed in that it leaves one less spot of the 18 available for Cleveland. However, the Commish was here in Cleveland not that long ago and he said all we had to do is build a stadium and the MLS would come. He's kind of a flirt.

6. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Atlanta is going to be a higher priority than Cleveland, as it is the only Top 10 Media Market without a team (Toronto is close enough to Detroit that I consider that market covered).

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Oh, please no; say it ain't so. With full respect to Jacob, and Terri, and HarbordSteve and the rest of the Dirty Whites, Atlanta doesn't even deserve the sports teams they have.

They didn't support the Hawks when they had a great team featuring Dominique Wilkins.
    They flopped as an NHL francise.
    Their support for the Falcons comes and goes, and when it's there it's weak.
    And over the last 15 or so years, they fielded the greatest baseball juggernaut since the New York Yankees of the 1920s and 30s, and they cared so little they couldn't even sell out a playoff game.

Atlanta may be a good TV market, but they are a minor league sports town.

8. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

This is great news, it will give me one more team to hate from St. Louis.

9. DCDave

DCDave Member

As a native Michigander, I would have to say that Toronto does not cover Detroit anymore than KC covers St. Louis.

I would love to see an MLS club in Detroit but I have never heard of a groundswell of interest in Detroit, either from the owner or fan sides. Also, given the economy in Michigan, I can't see MLS having it at the top of their list nor any government in Michigan building them a stadium.

That's too bad because the Detroit Express were a really good NASL franchise. I was there the night Trevor Francis scored five goals in a 10-1 pasting of the SJ Earthquakes. They played at the Silverdome and drew pretty well for a couple of years.

If they decided to look at an MLS team in the Detroit area, I'd suggest that the Ann Arbor are would be a good place to put the stadium. AA is probably the most internationally-focused part of the Detroit metro area and it's probably doing the best economically, too.

10. BC

BC New Member

Yeah, there will probably be a good rivalry between the Fire and the STL MLS team. If it gets close to the level of the 'hawks/Blues or Cubs/Cards, it'll be a damn good time!