Sports Marketing: NBA on the upslope

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Nov 1, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

While looking for any news on the 'Airness' fiasco, ran across this, on NBA global popularity factors

- - - - - -- - - - - - -
    On a related subject, it seems to me a no-brainer that the NBA Championship trophy be named for Red Auerbach.

If you havent read about all he's done to make the modern NBA what it is, today, you should do a search on Google.
    Never mind your earlier impression -like mine- that NBA games... esp early season... were just walk-throughs, the Celtics of 25 years ago put that to rest.

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

NBA???

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am likely the only one on this messageboard that was fired up last night for the start of the NBA season. There are few days in a calendar year that excite me more than NBA opening night.

To top that off, the Bulls blitzed the Heat 108-66 in Miami and started off their season on a good note. I am hoping they can continue tonight in Orlando against a resurgent Magic team.

For the record, I support the Bulls, Cavs and Warriors in the NBA.

Any other NBA fans out there? Which teams do you cheer for?

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

NBA???

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The only Spurs worth supporting play roundball in San Antonio. Good guys, good citizens, good team players, good organization.

As for them other Spurs. Tbhpppphhht!

6. rumstove

rumstove New Member

I keep tabs on Bucks, Timberwolves, and Nuggets. Although, I prefer watching games on TV over actually going to the games. I go to Timberwolves' games when I can get my hands on free tickets. It's kind of funny/annoying though, there are so many other activities going on that you sometimes forget there's a game being played.

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Well, the Bulls came back down to Earth last night getting thrashed by the Magic. The ups and downs of an NBA season are unreal. One night on cloud nine, the next night in the dumps.

8. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

My objection to Basketball is that the amount of scoring is numbing, game is always decided in the last two minuites and I wonder why I watched the whole game. I'm more of hockey a person I guess.

9. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

I was at the first ever T-Wolves game back in the Metrodome... but somewhere along the way, I lost interest in the NBA... I'm not a fan of the Iso game. I think it lacks creativity and any semblance of team effort.

Of course, I spent my college years at Kansas, so I'm a bit biased towards the college game... better fast breaks, more creativeness, more cohesiveness, FAR BETTER FANS... maybe that's what it is... at a T-Wolves game the fans show up late, leave early and don't seem to be all that involved in the course of the game. At a KU game, you had 16,800 people there early, staying through the whole game and in full voice the whole time.

Two cents given.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Back when I could afford to go [cut price tickets to folks in the military], I loved going to see the Spurs. Since I got back in town in January 1993, I've been once -- on a free ticket scored by my nephew.

I prefer the professional game to the college game because the college game is too strangled by coaches. "Clock management" is the worst phrase in sports. I get sick watching college teams play and continually pass up open 10' jumpers because there's still 18 seconds left on the clock and wind up taking a contested 20 footer in the last 5 seconds. Besides, your average college game consists of 12 players on each team none of which have the skills to play professionally.

Having said that, there is no annual sports event that can compare with March Madness.

11. rumstove

rumstove New Member

Speaking of the last two minutes...at times I get annoyed when the score is seemingly out of reach, but the team that's losing still thinks they can catch up in the final minute so they foul everytime the other team touches the ball. It gets boring to watch, unless it's your team that's trying to catch up of course.

And I agree with mnlandshark that college basketball fans are better than NBA fans. Actually, almost all college sports have better fans than the professional leagues, IMO.

I prefer hockey as well, but I don't like the new rules. booo. But, I still go to Wild games when offered free tickets.

12. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

Football seems to be the great equalizer for the pro vs. college debate... I've been to Lincoln, Nebraska on a game day and would love to see Knoxville, Athens, Ann Arbor and Gainesville... but I've also been to Arrowhead for the Chiefs, Mile High for the Broncos, and the Dome for the Vikes... something about football makes for great fans...

And as for hockey, I'm a big fan of the new rules... it flows more like the college game and I've been to enough 0-0 draws (before the shootout rule) that I felt like I wasting my $60... I don't mind the scoreless draw in soccer because I don't expect a lot of scoring, but in hockey I can't see the same beauty, for some reason...

Still... this is about basketball... so no more thread hijack...

13. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I could make a few comments about NFL fans that attend games, but I won't for fear of pissing people off. I am glad I do not go to those games. I could care less about the "passion" they display. That scene is not for me at all.

14. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Whats your objection to the new rules? I love them. More scoring, open play, just more exciting. At first I wasn't a fan of the shootout but now I love it. There nothing to lose, you have a point already, just an opertunity for one more.

15. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I used to love the NBA, then I started to hate it because of all the thugs that were in the league. Now, I'm starting to like it because most of the younger superstars (discluding Carmelo), seem to be good people for the most part. Obviously...being from Utah I am a Jazz fan. Have tickets to 10 games this season.....against all the good teams. But I will say that the Suns are my equal to the Jazz. I love watching their fast break basketball. It is so entertaining. They play each other tonight so suffice it to say I'll be a happy man tonight regardless of who wins. Let's just hope that it carries over to after tomorrow's match!!! COYW!!!

16. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

oh yeah....I HATE Kobe!!!!!!!!!!!!

nice to see the Lakers 2-0 without him

17. rumstove

rumstove New Member

For sure this includes the Bucks, right? :wink:

Speaking of the Bucks, they lost. But still, I see this being a great season. I think I said the same thing last season.

Wonderful question. But, as mnlandshark mentioned this is a basketball thread, and I could rant on and on about this, so I created a new thread here.

18. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

For sure this includes the Bucks, right? :wink:

Speaking of the Bucks, they lost. But still, I see this being a great season. I think I said the same thing last season.

jazz and bucks this weekend. party on rummy!!!

19. rumstove

rumstove New Member

Given Utah's record so far, and that the Bucks couldn't even beat the Bulls (mmm, no offense Tom) I guessing this will be a painful game to watch for Bucks fans. That said, I hope the Bucks give Jazz their first loss of the season.