Some Lighter, Fluffy News

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by dcheather, Oct 11, 2006.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Saw this article in the Telegraph and couldn't help but chuckle:

:lol:

Anyone care to guess the amount of illegal drug users among the 535 members of congress? I don't know the answer, but there has to be at least a dozen or so.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Dozen?!!!

Sorry, Heather.. but like my views on 'kickbacks and favors for..'.. this will distress you.
    Like my opinion on that, though, I consider it small in the greater scheme.

i would say 15%.

For the same reason, everyone does it and the effects, if found out, will be covered up.

What's remarkable is that the government could stop the airing of the program... who's the fascists, again?

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

So you're saying about 80 members? I'm not sure it would be that high. But those members never cease to amaze me. :lol:

I'm not looking for serious responses to this post. I just thought it was funny that they got caught in this manner and then wondered how many of "our own" would have tested positive.

4. pettyfog

Maybe ... I should have written my first reaction.

How much gin till Ted Kennedy wastes more of the line than he snorts?

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

BTW Fog, this is where my quasi-libertarian leanings come in. I don't really care about drug usage as long as it doesn't affect the user's job performance or personal life.

Actions where people can only hurt themselves, I tend to be liberal about. If they're grown adults and have no mental problems, they should take care of themselves. Assistance is always to be found somewhere if look you hard enough. Other than that I don't give a toss what people do.

Actions that hurt the public at large or others, such as graft and theft for example, is where I have a very narrow-minded approach.

6. pettyfog

Well, then ... why would someone spend 5 million of their own money to get elected to a position that would never repay?

Oh, no doubt they will justify it with some higher motive, at first.. but sooner or later, reality bites and they say "the pay isnt high enough."

And again, not excusing it... but it is a fact of life.. EVERYWHERE.

the braking mechanism on it is when it becomes too obvious and open.

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

So you're saying it's okay to steal as long as you put $5 million of your own money into an election campaign? Okay, I know that's not what you meant, but I couldn't help myself.

Yes, graft happens and there will always be a scandal every Congress. But throw the book at them, there is no excuse for it.

Go ahead call me a naive romantic, I believe there are some jobs people take that are not about the money. And I believe principles are worth fighting for.

Why would a high school student enlist in the military for $18,000 a year and go off to fight a war? Like my grandfather enlisting at 16 to fight in WWII for little pay.

I could also argue why do people become parents? Parents spend loads of cash on the rug rats--who also cause a lot of worry and heartache. But parents still say it's worth it, even though they're not likely going to see any of that cash back.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Wow! Talk about hijacking a thread! This is nowhere near "lighter, fluffy."
    Thanks for the try though, Heather.

I'm getting to hate these international breaks. I want me fitba and me fitba chatter!

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I try, but I am just as guilty of committing thread hijacks as everyone else. Even when I start the thread. :lol:

Yeah, bring on the fitba.

Btw, how many of our politicians do you think are on drugs? :wink:

Well, I can try to bring the thread back on topic.

10. rumstove

rumstove New Member

Re: RE: Some Lighter, Fluffy News

All of them! Any politician in a suit is certain to also be wearing trick shoes like Sick Boy in Trainspotting (I think it was Sick Boy) with a syringe in the heel ready to go. Plus, any time you see a politician with a bottle of water beware: it's almost guaranteed that the water has been dumped and replaced with Vodka...but that's with everyone, isn't it?

I joke of course...

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

RE: Re: RE: Some Lighter, Fluffy News

Oooo...good answer. If answering the question the most creatively won a prize; well, you would have won it Rumstove. Congrats.

And thanks for the chuckle.

12. VonBilly

VonBilly New Member

Some Real Fluffy Stuff......

WACKY SHORTS
    They don't call him The Incredible Sulk for nothing, and it's not taken Nicolas Anelka long to find something he doesn't like about playing for Bolton. "I am playing alone up front which is not what I prefer," he said. "Our game is based on 'kick and rush' so I don't get the ball much." What did he expect? Surely he must have seen Bolton play in one of his previous spells in England?

Perhaps he needs to bond with his team-mates a bit more. Certainly Brazil coach Dunga is a fan of this kind of bondage. Whereas the Samba superstars were allowed to stay in separate rooms in their hotels at the World Cup this summer, Dunga's new regime means that they are now back to sharing rooms, in a bid to improve team spirit. "The players were isolated in their rooms and chatting on the internet," he said about the World Cup. "I think that getting on with one another is fundamental in forming a group. Sharing the same room, the players can exchange ideas, talk about their experiences, in short, have real conversations like friends." They had better start playing like a team, otherwise Dunga may have to resort to making them all sleep in one big bed.

There is of course another way to improve team spirit, and that tactic was employed by FC Sion coach Nestor Clausen recently during a Swiss Cup tie. His team were losing 1-0 to FC La Chaux-de-Fonds at half-time, and they looked like they were heading for another defeat after their UEFA Cup exit at the hands of Bayer Leverkusen. So he quit. And it worked, because they went out like a new team in the second half and won 3-1. However, if he was hoping to claim it was some kind of clever tactic, it backfired on him, as club president Christian Constantin said after the game: "Clausen's time at Sion is over. I found out the news at the same time as the players which was at half-time. I've never seen or heard anything like this."

And finally, we have the story of a policeman who should have kept his thoughts to himself. The Argentinean copper was on duty at Lanus on Saturday for the visit of his hometown club Estudiantes de La Plata, and when the away side scored to go 3-0 up, he cheered the goal. This didn't go down well with the home fans, who threw stuff at him until he was moved away from them. He's now been suspended without pay for ten days, which should teach him to be happy.

Yahoo's Wacky World of Football

13. VonBilly

VonBilly New Member

More Wacky Fluffy Stuff

PROBLEMS AT THE GRASS ROOTS

On TV camcorder clip-shows like You've Been Framed, the best bits have always involved animals, and Wacky World is no different. Over the years, we've written wacky tales involving wild boars, dogs, pigs, cows, pigeons, baboons, sheep and Neil Ruddock. Now we have a new member of the menagerie, so say 'aaah' and welcome The Wincham One, a cuddly and adventurous little rabbit who made an impromptu appearance at an FA Cup qualification match at the weekend.

Unibond Premier League club Witton Albion were taking on North East Counties side Sheffield in the first round of the FA Cup qualifiers on Saturday afternoon when home keeper Jon Worsnop noticed that something strange was happening when he was about to take a goal-kick: "I spotted something moving and knew straight away there was a problem, so I took the kick from the other side of the goalmouth," he explained. "But the ref didn't believe me when I told him what was there."

The ref wasn't impressed, and booked him for time-wasting. A little later however, there was no denying that Worsnop was telling the truth, as a hole appeared in the pitch and a rabbit poked its head out. "I've been confronted by streakers and annoyed supporters before, but never a rabbit," Worsnop told the Northwich Guardian. "I just saw a hole emerge in the six-yard box and there it was, peeping at me.

"There was no way I was going to pick it up, it looked petrified," explained the brave keeper. Fortunately, team-mate Brian Pritchard grabbed the pitch invading bunny before it tried to escape, and it was placed under arrest in groundsman Alan Spruce's jacket. Once the pitch had been repaired, the game continued and Witton won 3-2, but what about the rabbit? Club director Mark Harris said: "We freed the Wincham One, it seemed the right thing to do."

Wills Bar FC haven't had any animal interventions in their matches yet, but it can surely only be a matter of time for 'Britain's Unluckiest Football Team'. The York Sunday Afternoon League side have had a miserable time of it recently, so much so that a number of their players are thinking of quitting before things take a turn for the even worse. During one game, four players' cars were broken into, but that was only the beginning of their troubles.

A week later they arrived at their local pitch for a home game against Dunnington, only to find that it had been double-booked, so they ended up making a 20-mile trip to an available pitch to play the game. They lost 8-0, which was bad enough, but worse news awaited them after the match. Manager Steve Baxter explained: "We went out and played the game and got totally stuffed 8-0 by Dunnington, so the mood wasn't all that great when we got back to the changing rooms.

"But when we did get back we found that our wallets and mobile phones had all been stolen. I don't know what you would call it. I suppose you could say it's extreme bad luck, because I don't think anyone was particularly targeting our things. It's a sad state of affairs, but we have a few players who have told me they are not going to play any more because of this, because at some point it stops being enjoyable when this kind of thing happens."

Another amateur side feeling cheesed off at the moment are Stambridge United, who recently sealed a prime sponsorship deal with author Chris Turner to advertise his new book about football chants. Unfortunately, the Baliston Essex Olympian League are less than enthusiastic about the team's shirts bearing the name of the book, "The Referee's A W*nker", with a red card replacing the letter 'a' in 'w*nker'.

They have been deemed too offensive by the league, and Stambridge can't wear them, much to the disgust of Turner: "I think it's absolutely absurd," he fumed. "The strips are part of a sponsorship deal worth thousands and are certainly not meant to be offensive - you can hear the chant at every football match in the country."

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Thanks, VB; you were here for us when we all needed you most! 8)

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

More entertaining news...
    (from Down Under)

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20 ... 62,00.html

A GRANDMOTHER was arrested after a neighbour claimed she refused to return a ball kicked into her garden.

Angela Hickling, 56, was taken to the police station, photographed and had a DNA sample taken.

Police searched her home but failed to find any sign of the football which one of her neighbours claimed to have kicked into her yard.

Her husband told London's The Daily Telegraph: "To see her led away like that was devastating. We know nothing about any football. Neither I or my wife have seen it."