Solving the BCS

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by timmyg, Nov 24, 2008.

1. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I don't know how many college football fans there are out here, but after successfully predicting Oklahoma to beat Texas Tech this past weekend and cause more crap in the BCS I now have a method to solve everything, declare a national champion, and no playoff. And I'm taking a page out of the Premier League's notebook:

College Football Championship League.

Take the Top 14 teams from the previous year and have them play in some super league for the following year. Make it an odd number of games so there's no .500 business. Each team plays another, for a 13-game season (which is about what we're at now). The winner of the league is crowned the champion. The lower 4 teams are relegated (so to say) and replaced by 4 other teams for the next season.

Someone tell me how this wont work.

And don't say it'll screw up the conferences, because the Big East/ACC/C-USA/etc etc have shown those are just arbitrary anyway.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

A single word comes to mind why this won't work....Seniors.
    :(

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

speaking of the clusterfuck that is the BCS, evidently the Big12 is going to let BCS rankings determine who plays in the conference championship game.

WTF?

4. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

It's how we roll in the heartland.

5. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

I'm just glad you put CUSA in with the Big East and ACC. Thank you.

6. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

How though?

Although I don't know if the rule applies in Football and Basketball, but I know that in Lacrosse whenever a school switches to a new conference, there cannot be an AQ from that conference for at least a year. Is that fair for seniors? No. But I'm certain it applies in other sports too.

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I guess! Anyone ever see Cincinnati do anything when they were in C-USA?

Now UC gets players that, previously, went to the MAC. Now UC games are on national tv.

Just sayin'

- - - - -- - -
    Back on topic.... it's not just Seniors. College games are scheduled three years out.
    Yeah, there's no real reason for that but just imagine the chaos of everyone's schedule changes rippling down.

8. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Personally, I think they should just use something similar to the Pairwise system used in college hockey. Completely subjective, everybody knows what the formula is, and they can schedule opponents accordingly. Don't know if it will work with the huge number of teams and tiny number of games played, but it has to be better than the "team who has the longest winning streak = champions" system they have now. But really, how much can you tell from only 12-13 games?

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Or, they could just admit that, of all the sports and divisions in the NCAA, the only one that DOESN'T have a national championship decided on the field is Div I Football. It worked that way for decades. The problem is that the networks can only get the biggest bucks for "THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME." The colleges and CFA, on the other hand, get their bucks from the bowl system.

If we want to keep the current system or go back to the old conference-linked bowl system, that's fine. It's also cool to run polls to see who's #1, just don't be calling the winner of any of those polls the national champion.

10. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

Fog, Cincy was always in CUSA for the bball, it wasn't a strong football conference with Cincy or Louisville. Southern Miss is the school left out with the reshifting from CUSA. They routinely owned Cincy and UL in football, basketball, not as much.

11. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The reason Timmy is by having a Super League the following season, the teams aren't the same by the seniors leaving. LSU (last year's psuedo champ) is simply not the same team this year. Why? because 6/7 of the key players are playing in the NFL. Every year is fluid, what would happen if one of the 4 teams that earned "promotion" was actually the best team that season? i.e Alabama is number 1 right now went 7-6 last year. You can't have a system that excludes the best team before the season starts.

Your idea would basically abandon traditional rivalries, which are the only true "Derby" matches in US sports. Michigan which is in the toilet wouldn't play Ohio State again for years. Auburn is having a horrible year by their standards, but a win over archrival Alabama in the Iron Bowl would ease the pain. I know you'll say they'll develop new ones, but it would never replace 80-90 years of history and tradition. If Arizona State made the Champions League (already resigning myself that my Arizona Wildcats would never do it) there is no way me or my fellow alumni would stand for not playing the Scum Devils.

I've always thought an 8 team playoff was best (years before the new Prez 8) ). Especially since all the lower levels of college football have one. However, the best we can hope for is an "plus one" at the end of the bowls. The college presidents aren't about to go radical, a tweak is hard enough to get done.

Yes, the BCS is f'ed-up, but the sport on the field is fantastic. Texas-Oklahoma, Texas-Texas Tech, Penn State-Iowa, etc, etc, etc......have been as compelling as any games in any sport this year period, exclamation point.

12. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Totally valid point, and its something I didn't account for. Then I would suggest having a week where rivalries can be played. So even though Ohio State would be in this league and Michigan wouldn't (and wont be under Rodriguez) they could still face off. Same for Auburn/Bama, Florida/FSU, etc etc. This would keep rivalries in tact, and possibly add drama if one team was prone to getting kicked out of the league.

And teams that wouldn't be in series (like Michigan) would still stay in their conferences, and compete in the 200 mickey mouse bowls like they do now.