Soccer Player opinion

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

For some reason, my son thinks I am an expert on everything about soccer. I've played it for real once and have only been following it for two years. I do have some opinions and have learned a few things but I cant answer a lot of his questions.

Anyway, his latest question which I cannot answer is . . . .

What five players in the game today are the best at heading the ball?

I mostly just follow Fulham and the US MNT so I cant really answer this question and was hoping some of you guys could give me your lists of the top five. I must warn you that if McBride is not in the top five, it just might break his little 11 year old heart.

2. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

It's an almost impossible question to answer as it is both very subjective and a player's ability to show his/her ability is based upon the quality of service he/she receives.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Jan "The Big Head" Koller, Luca Toni, Christiano Ronaldo, Carlos Bocanegra, and of course, Brian McBride.

Just of the top of my head,....yuck, yuck.

4. Silas

Silas New Member

I wouldn't put Christiano Ronaldo in that mix, I think he's certainly coming along as far as his heading goes. In his younger days, which sounds absurd since he is so young now, he was weaker in the air and now he is great, and I think in a short time he'll definitely be one of the best in the air, I wouldn't say he is one of the best right now. But hey I'm just one guy and I'm probably wrong.

I think Michael Ballack would be a fair substitute for Ronaldo, but it really is a tough question.

Are you asking from a purely offensive standpoint mo? i.e. finishing crosses into the box or from set plays, or do you mean both offensively and defensively?

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'd be tempted to put Yakubu on the list. I think McBride and Boca are reasonable nominations, but I'd also add Sol Campbell, Villa's Carew, and a couple of others.

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I immediately thought of Koller and Toni, but like Andy said its very difficult to come up w/definitive list (especially when most people watch 1 or 2 leagues maximum). I'd throw Peter Crouch and Berbatov into the mix. Ironhead was/is still the best the US has ever produced and Borgetti of our archrival south of the border is their best.

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Crouch is a good one. As much as I thought of another big striker, Ibrahimovic, I could not remember him doing as much damage to other teams with his head as with his feet.

8. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

On the defensive line, I'll put Vidic on the list.

9. Clevelandmo

Re: RE: Soccer Player opinion

My son just means who's the best at scoring with a header.

10. Clevelandmo

RE: Re: RE: Soccer Player opinion

Thanks guys. I know it's hard to come up with a definitive list, but most of you guys have watched far more players than I have. How about we just limit it to bigger name players he is likely to have heard of (i.e. from FSC or ESPN).

So we have Koller, Toni, Ronaldo, Boca, McBride, Yakubu, Ballack, Campbell, Carew, Crouch, Berbatov, and Vidic.

That's twelve. Who doesnt belong?

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

you have to ask? The one at the WRONG end of SW6. Get rid of BALLACK!

12. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Not counting McBride, if I had to narrow it down to two, they would be Toni for now, and Ronaldo for now and what he will be.

13. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I know I am a relative newcomer to the game but the best PL players I saw last season at putting the ball in the net with their noggin were Ronaldo, McBride and Adebyor.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

yeah, barry; I thought about Adebayor -- he nailed that hattrick against us pretty much -- but that isn't Arsenal's style. They're much more through ball on the deck stuff. They just took advantage of our weakest CB pairing in that match.

15. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Top 5:

Kuqi
    Kuqi
    Kuqi
    Kuqi
    Kuqi

16. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Imagine how good he will look when he gets a chance to head it home regularly. :wink:

17. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

Kenywe Jones

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

but to give Christian his due, the two best headers I saw this season were by Renaldo.

19. Clevelandmo

Yes, that one where he sprinted in from 35 yds out was incredible. Probably my favorite goal of this season. Apologize if I said that before.

20. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

How about Lescott at Everton?