Soccer as an upper middle class sport in the US

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Nov 22, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

continued from:

'Upper Middle Class'.?!!!!.. I hate to be quarrelsome but look and think again.

soccer is considered 'declasse' and plebian and the 'Upper middle Class' dont live in the suburbs around here... they live in the "Old Suburbs' which are now considered anything BUT suburbs

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Re: Blackburn Rovers vs. FULHAM, December 2nd 2006

Well if you want to get down to splitting hairs, you tell me the income breakdown of the classes, Mr. Sociologist?

My understanding is that $40,000/year is considered middle class, and those boys play pointy football and baseball mostly.

("hate to be quarrelsome"?? C'mon now. Now nor never is the time to be a shrinking violet and give our guest the wrong impression.)

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

4. pettyfog

That is CERTAINLY dated observation.... what tickles me is that minivan SUV Volvo connection.

Mercedes doesnt make a minivan anymore do they.. does a Range Rover still count as an SUV?

We're talking 'tendencies to follow' or support, here. I'm sure you live around some 'monied' residential areas.... even in Florida, it's there to be seen.

And the preferred team sport for most 'soccermom type' parents of the gifted is crew.

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

You could say there is some affluence here:

http://www.beachesofsouthwalton.com/San ... _beach.asp

But the infrastructure and schools have not caught up yet. So no crew, or rugby or lacrosse yet, but kids do surf here.

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Re: RE: Re: Blackburn Rovers vs. FULHAM, December 2nd 2006

You're so old school. :wink:

Soccer is played by "Upper middle class" in this country. I know because I lived in an upper middle class neighborhood since I was about 12. All the neighbors played soccer, as well as lacrosse but not as much as soccer (rugby is a very small, niche sport in this country and only met people who played it when I went to college. And they were not "rich"). When I lived in the "lower middle class" neighborhood, they played the traditional sports in this country, as well as soccer. But I think us "Court 15" kids played more kickball and dodgeball than anything else.

The "upper middle class" might live in the "old suburbs," but they also live in those upscale, new developments on old farm land. That may or may not be happening in Ohio, but I can vouch that it's happening in the MD, DC, VA metro area.

7. pettyfog

RE: Re: RE: Re: Blackburn Rovers vs. FULHAM, December 2nd 20

-aw, cheez! Sorry the thread got hijacked on this, Roger.

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Yes, apologies, but perhaps eye opening.

Petty, isn't it time for your Jar-Jar tutoring class?

9. pettyfog

Yes... but it has failed so far, and guess who is who...

There's a REASON Columbus is a primo test-market.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

PCB: Thanks for "carrying on" in my absence.

I was stunned when I got to England in the mid-60s to discover that fitba was a working class sport. When I was in school, only the private/prep schools fielded a soccer side. No public school ever played the game.

But this "who is middle class" stuff is kind of a joke over here, and has been -- at least -- since 1988, when I read an article about George H.W. Bush's upbringing [the butler who lit the fire in his bedroom at 4 a.m. etc.] and the fact that he had ambassadors and senators in his family line. According to that same article, people like GHWB who had homes in three states and a ton of inherited wealth were "upper middle class." If the Bushes and -- by extension -- the Kennedy's, the Cabots, and the Lodges are "upper middle class" then I think we are all the working poor.

Petty: well done splitting this off Roger's thread.

11. pettyfog

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Blackburn Rovers vs. FULHAM, December 2n

No sweat, bub.. it's why I'm paid the big bucks, after all.
    :banana:

12. Jacob

Jacob New Member

Hey PCB, where about do you live? My mother and step father have their main home in Santa Rosa beach. I was down there this weekend and should have thought to send you a pm to watch the game.

Yeah, the schools sure haven't caught up. My little brother won't move in with my mother because his school in Katy, Texas is much better apparently.

....back on topic....

13. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

The class divde is much more simple in England, people know where they stand. I live in middle class surburbia as a decendent of working class Londoners. The real bone of contention is old money and new money. New money does not know how to condiuct itself, footallers, pop stars and strange people like Paris Hilton come to town, flash their bling and behave in a way that is unacceptable.

Football is a middle class and working class sport, Rugby Union is a middle class sport, Rubgy League is a northen working class sport (mostly), cricket is aristocracy, upper and middle class. Golf is middle class.

14. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Blackburn Rovers vs. FULHAM, December 2n

Happy to carry the mantle, anytime.

15. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I live about 3/4 to a mile west of Rosemary Beach, in SeaCrest Beach. Right next to Camp Creek Golf Course. PM me anytime and we can watch that match. Also have a great place for pick-up on Sunday mornings or Wednesday evenings, if interested.