SN65: The $1??,000 Mustang

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Dec 3, 2005.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I'm kinda car freak... specifically Mustangs, having owned a few..
    and if I had gobs of money, I'd do something like ...Start with a $12,000 65 Mustang fastback, a $30,000 2003 Mustang Cobra, add 18 months of work, 4 to 6 hours a day..

Cut up the '03 and '65 and mash together what's left:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's gonna be SOOOO sweet!

http://sn65.com/

2. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

I've always wondered why manufacturers don't just reproduce the older cars with some more modern perks (like AC). Keep the old body style, and upgrade parts of the engine and some of the technology. I was really disappointed when Ford came out with the new Thunderbird, that was a piece. I'll be interested to see how this one turns out.

3. misswitch2

misswitch2 New Member

i love cars too. my favourite TV show has started airing in the US i believe,

you might like some of the videos on the website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/

4. pettyfog

Cheers MW2. Ask Mikey if he knows anyone who has a late model Mustang GT, your lilting accent might edge that owner into letting you drive it... and you'll see if Mikey is the jealous type or not; cause you'll fall in love with 'Hum'erican Muscle'.
    - - - --

Well, Johnny... that's what all the buzz about the new Mustang is about... I really liked the design, but didnt realize JUST how 'retro' it was until I followed one on the road at night.. Took me back 35 years, in my own head!
    ------ BUT------
    Unlike most geezers my age, I dont look back at the actual performance of those sixties muscle cars and hotrods with longing... on the road, they were pure crap! I can tear down and rebuild anything on a car but the transmission, but I absouletly HATE carburetors.... didnt get enthused about cars again till 'real fuel injection' came out. I UNDERSTAND feedback fuel control.

And NEVER get fooled by those few still claiming they 'dont build 'em like they used to'!
    That's BS... they build 'em a lot BETTER! And you DO get a lot more for your money ... look at inflation converters re the price of cars.

The frustration comes from the 'average bloke' who doesnt understand how things work anymore and I have to admit that I think the technology has finally gotten past my 'wall of intimate understanding' happened in about late nineties...

- - - - --

PS: The reason for the failure of the new-old TBird is that they went for exactly the same demographic as bought them (2-seater) in the first place, they should have realized the results would ALSO be exactly the same.... once they went to a four-seater, the TBird enjoyed greater sales and lived on in various degrees of uniqueness until 97... and the 89-97 is indeed a sweet ride.

Look for the 4-seater Bird to come back as a 'cheap Jag XK' which is the platform (DEW) the 2 seater and the Mustang use, anyway.
    - - - - -- - -

LOOK at the ad on the left... is it the same as I see? WAS a Mustang ad!!!!

Google is CREEPY!

5. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

I am being suckered into buying one of the new Mustangs by my wife. I've always bought euro-trash cars but the thought of a V8 in a good looking body (the car's, not mine) is too much to turn down - plus its fantastic value for money. I am resisting the pressure to get a convertible because I don't want to look like a complete hairdresser.

Kudos for Ford for getting the design right. Now they only need to learn how to do interiors and remove the composite plastic parts...but I guess that's what make the car so affordable.

6. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Re: RE: SN65: The $1??,000 Mustang

Top gear...where??????? I hope its not BBC America as cablevision won't give me that.

7. pettyfog

Come on... grow up! I loved verts when I was early twenties... then I fell for that 'not gay, no not me' mindset.... then my wife insisted on a vert, and, now I'm th e only one who puts the top down.

I know what sex I am and which I like... I dont give a f234K what other people think.

Besides.. it's the color you pick that shows your gayness!
    :shock:

Like light blue or some shade of purple

Absolutely.... but bear in mind that Ford has also started designing for the aftermarket... if you cant modify a car to taste, the desirability of that car goes down. And Ford finally realized it is in their best interests to have as many old pony cars on the road as possible.

8. Jux

Jux New Member

The redesign has really improved the look of the car. I'm glad they were able to get away from the boxy look that they had in the late 90s. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

9. rumstove

rumstove New Member

10. pettyfog

YES!!!!!!!

They should build that! It IS a Challenger... no doubt & from the first glance! Helluva lot better looking than a 300 or Sebring!

Actually better looking than the original (fit & finish sucked from afar) just as the Mustang is

11. misswitch2

misswitch2 New Member

sorry glen i think that it is on BBC America. The new series is the best yet. On Sunday they have another cross europe race with Jeremy Clarkson driving the fastest production Road car against Richard using publc transport...hope it's as good as the race they did to Verbier in the Ferrari. Unfortunatly i will be missing this weeks because i will be your side of the pond!

Pettyfog, have a look at the apache vs lotus download on the site, it'll give you a rough idea of the obscene budget they get for this programme!! They also borrowed a 747 so they could drive various cars behind the jets to show how powerful they were!
    haven't driven a mustang yet....would love to though. i used to drive a BMW 540i which was chipped and it was sublime to drive....gimme an aston martin vanquish anyday though!

12. misswitch2

misswitch2 New Member

just checked. this is the race that i'm missing this week.

On Top Gear next Sunday, Captain Slow and Captain Teeth are in an aeroplane piloted by James, racing Jeremy, who will be driving the spectacular 1001bhp Bugatti Veyron

13. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Re: RE: SN65: The $1??,000 Mustang

Hi Glen,
    Nope, its not BBC America, its Discovery channel late night. Don't know if its a specific night but it is re-runs...classic none-the-less.

:banana:

14. pettyfog

[​IMG]
    -Sisters under the Skin

He has finished the car, shown it at Autorama in Detroit where he didnt win a 'Best Custom' or any showpiece prize, but got a specially conferred plaque as the best engineered car in the show.

He just finished shooting for a Hot Rod Magazine article and apparently the car is brilliant on the high speed track.
    http://sn65.com/