Silverdome

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Clevelandmo, May 5, 2014.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I was at the Silverdome on Saturday instead of watching Fulham get relegated and this is what the former home of the Detroit lions looks like today.
    [​IMG]

More pictures here http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/laces-...ting-to-reclaim-the-pontiac-silverdome-043014

The current owner bought the Silverdome back in 2009 with the hope of making it the home of a Detroit MLS team but MLS wanted a stadium in downtown Detroit, not a suburb. So five years later the stadium is empty and falling apart. They are currently selling the seats and will be auctioning off other parts of the stadium like the scoreboard and exec suites furniture. They also won't say what their plans are for the place. It just seems really unfair that New England can have an MLS team playing in the middle of nowhere in a football stadium but Detroit couldn't have a team in the burbs in a stadium that would have been just for soccer.

Anyway, a has-been locale was fitting place for me to be on the day that Fulham died.

2. tslyon

tslyon Member

Wow! I had no idea it had fallen into such a state. Quite sad considering the history of the place...

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

yep. chalk it up to 'Passages'. If things didnt change, time wouldnt exist. or vice versa.
    Detroit, though a special case, just emphasizes the change in what people want in their sport venues.

Wanna sell out? Put it DOWNTOWN.. see Dayton Dragons... now on the block for $40 million.
    For One Minor League Baseball Team, Never an Empty Seat