September international break

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by astroevan, Sep 7, 2024.

1. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

An interesting and uncertain window for the USMNT…

As is customary for the US National teams, the coaching situation has not been resolved. It’s frustrating to think that USSF is just sitting around, waiting for Pochettino’s and Chelsea’s lawyers to figure things out. But that very well may be the case at this point.

The squad is short on regulars - with Robinson and McKennie being given a break and Adams, Weah and Reyna being injured - so the midfield will be a complete mystery. There are a few new faces that will hopefully get a chance to prove themselves. And a huge, surprise (to me at least) inclusion of Fulham academy grad Marlon Fossey. I always had high hopes for the kid but injuries never let him fully develop. Hopefully those are all behind him now.

Another interesting bit to this break is the USMNT’s first opponent - today at 4pm EST on TBS - Canada. Though more specifically, I’d say it’s their coach. Jesse Marsch led the team to the semifinals of the Copa America and has made no attempts to sugar coat his feelings towards the USSF. I haven’t done enough research to feel one way or the other about this issue, but I really wish the issue would just be dropped. He sounds like he’s whining about not getting the US job, but at the same time he may have a valid point since USSF has tended to bungle and fumble their way through recent hires (see above).

I’m thinking Marsch loads up today and, combined with the inexperienced (as a playing unit) US midfield, Canada comes out on top.

Tuesday’s match against New Zealand should return the break to ‘friendly’ status.

SoCalJoe and MicahMan like this.
  2. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I learned a couple weeks ago that Patrick Schulte and I shared a high school, but I had departed the school prior to his birth. Geez where does the time go?

SoCalJoe likes this.
  3. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

As expected. Why are we even risking Pulisic at this point?

SoCalJoe likes this.
  4. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

At least the USMNT has a coach now

SoCalJoe and MicahMan like this.